Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(Very cheap) ABS, probably from china

Posted by leo.dearden 
(Very cheap) ABS, probably from china
May 29, 2009 10:21PM
I'm looking to RepRap a number of large objects, so I'll soon be ordering at least 100kg of ABS welding rod.

The best quote I have so far is EUR ~4/kg + EUR ~7/kg surface shipping to me in Zurich + insurance + duties (~10%?).

This is pretty cheap, but if we can put together a bigger order we can probably get it much cheaper.

I'm considering arranging the shipment and distribution of a container load, and I need to estimate demand. If people want it, I'll organise it, you'll pay me, and about 6 weeks later you'll get it straight to your door by DHL or similar. I will assume all risks. I have a good rep on EBay, and a blog at fabricationsofthemind.blogspot.com, and if you need more reassurance, ask.

Are your interested? Assume EUR 9/kg ($5.7/lb) all inclusive price (we may even do better). Post a reply quickly with your CITY, COUNTRY and the AMOUNT in kg.

If there's enough demand on at least one continent I'll look into it in detail and reply here with a firm offer.

Leo
Pfaeffikon, Switzerland, 10 kg
Re: (Very cheap) ABS, probably from china
June 09, 2009 07:14AM
Graz, Austria, 10kg
June 10, 2009 02:26AM
Freiburg, Germany, 10Kg or personal pickup in Zuerich.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
June 11, 2009 02:30PM
A container is about 20 tons. Demand seems to be rather less than that. :-)

I'm not going to order a container load until there are a lot more reprappers asking for it.

Plan B: A small(er) shipment by air. Price is excellent:

~$9/kg delivered to me.

I'm just about to ask two factories in China for samples. Once I've assessed the quality I'll order about 150kg. You can then either collect your orders from me or pay me for postage. How does that sound?

Last order date for you 2009.06.25, delivery to me ~14 days from then.

All the best,

Leo
June 11, 2009 02:57PM
That sounds good! It's just bad, that you're going to pay import-tax to Switzerland and I'll have to pay it for Austria again. But it's still cheap of course.

I have to admit, that I don't even have a RepRap yet, but I'm going to build one soon. Do you know how much plastic (in kg) I'll need to produce the parts for another RepRap?
June 11, 2009 04:50PM
I don't have a reprap either. I'm making an EMC2 controlled repstrap from a CNC router.

I don't know how much ABS there is in an Darwin, either. I'd GUESS 0.5-2kg.

Once my repstrap is running reliably, would you like me to print you some parts (assuming I get there first, of course)?

Cheers,

Leo
June 11, 2009 07:06PM
leo.dearden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once my repstrap is running reliably, would you
> like me to print you some parts (assuming I get
> there first, of course)?

Yes, that would be great. You'll be there first for sure. For me building a RepRap is very ambitious and probably a bit risky. The most challenging mechanical work I did in the last 10 years was building some IKEA-racks, I'm a software guy, but I'd like to do something more substantial. So that's my big project smiling smiley. Since tuesday I have a soldering gun and I already practiced a little smiling smiley.

I have no idea how much work it is to make those parts. I thought that probably those guys at Metalab in Vienna might help me out as well. My reprap would be the first or second one in Austria (at least on the map)!
My order stands. I will collect the ABS in Zurich. My rapman V3 is up and running (not very reliable but improving) in Pfaeffikon SZ, 35 km from Zurich. If you want to test the chinese samples on a real machine with a real extruder (if you don't have one already) and also to let me know when the material arrives, please contact me directly by email: dbaechi a t bluewin d o t ch
I would recommend to test samples from china thoroughly. In my many years of experience sourcing from china for automation components, around 30% of chinese samples are out of specs. If you have access to a materials test lab - perfect, if not a real application test is also fine.
You also have to be aware that quality of a chinese sample and actual delivery is sometimes not the same (in my experience around 20%) also quality can suddenly change between shipments. So the actual price may be a bit less attractive, but it's certainly worth a try!
I would take 10 kg.

Hannover, Germany
July 06, 2009 08:09PM
You may be interested in this topic as well [forums.reprap.org]
August 04, 2009 07:12AM
So....it's been more then 2 month now.

Is there "enough demand" or are you canceling this offer?

* Blog
* Google+
Protonite
August 18, 2009 12:19PM
I live in switzerland and i would like to have a nice source for raw materials. Please give us an update on the china ABS order.
Think i'd get something like 10kg too if quality and price is okay.
December 10, 2009 02:19AM
Hi!

How was your ABS ordering going?
I would like to get 50-100kg of ABS.

Are you still around?

Best regards,
Khiraly
December 10, 2009 08:06AM
Hello all,

Sorry for the silence. The order has been slow to arrange.

150kg should be delivered some time in the next month. I can fill all the orders expressed on this thread, except khiraly, who will get what's spare if he wants it.

I'll post a final price as soon as I know it.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Leo
Hai one can custom extrude the ABS and get whatever quantity needs ASAP from rod extruders.. If any one wants a go at it we can help and outsource them.
Thanks
JAGS
DESIGN FOR A CHANGE
COIMBATORE,INDIA
Hi does anybody hear know of a supplier of raw plastic in filiment and pellet form in the UK
All the best Peter
Re: ABS, extrusion grade suppliessmiling smiley
January 05, 2010 11:03AM
Hello
Any one who requires around 100 kgs and above we can ship special by air to required destinations.
Kindly provide full details as to the requirements

ABS in all colors also possible. Currently Black and white easy stocks. Other colors on special requirements.
Thanks
JAGS

JAGS
DESIGN FOR A CHANGE!
It's here! smileys with beer
January 08, 2010 10:33AM
It's at my house in Langnau am Albis in Switzerland.

You can have it for CHF13/kg + delivery at cost. (approx EUR 8, USD 12, GBP 7 /kg + delivery).

Email me to confirm how much you want. Priority to people on the thread. Then others first come first served. Only 70kg available. I'll send out on the 15th. If I can't serve you from this shipment, and there's still enough demand I'll give the option of getting it in the next shipment, which will be much faster.

Payment by PayPal in either CHF or GBP converted at that days mid market rate. I'll reply with details.

You can see my costs here:

[spreadsheets.google.com]

Disclosure: I've rounded up to the nearest CHF/kg, a 3% markup.

Cheers,

Leo
January 08, 2010 11:11AM
Im interested Leo, I will shoot you an email this evening.
Re: It's here! smileys with beer
January 17, 2010 06:07AM
How to email you with "Email: Hidden" in your profile?
I´m still good for my 10Kg.
Just got my RepMan printing a few minutes ago.

* Blog
* Google+
January 17, 2010 12:55PM
I didn't realise that my email was hidden. You can always send me a PM. smiling smiley

Or email me at:

leo dot dearden at G mail dot com.

Anyway the deadline for saying/confirming that you want some is now past. Daniel has had 40kg, Marcus gets 10kg, khiraly gets 50kg, and I keep the last 50kg.

If there's further demand someone else can do another order.

I dealt with:
Shen Zhen Yarui International Forwarding Co.,Ltd.
Hangzhou FCJ Plastics&Rubber Co.,Ltd
January 29, 2010 09:39AM
hi Leo,
do you have the website of the company:Hangzhou FCJ Plastics&Rubber Co.,Ltd
Google shown no result.
tks
I'd like to buy 20 - 25kg but have no experience dealing with china (no counting ebay).
I'm Spanish.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login