Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FREE! 250 old okidata printers for salvage in Salem, OR, USA.

Posted by jgilmore 
FREE! 250 old okidata printers for salvage in Salem, OR, USA.
April 11, 2010 03:43PM
A bread company is upgrading their 20-year-old system, and throwing away all the old printers. These will otherwise just be junked, they are interested in getting rid of them without any out-of-pocket money.

These printers are in salem, OR, USA. 2 pallets, right around 250 printers. There's more coming, and there will be about 125 in the denver area available in a month or so. If these first ones go well, we'll have no problem getting the Denver ones ("Hey it's the same guys we dealt with before, so of course that's what we'll do...") 12 of the Denver batch are earmarked for me, and will come to me no matter what happens to the others. But if these first ones aren't picked up, we may not get a chance at the others in Denver.

IF somebody in the area can handle salvaging that many printers, and can call the guy in charge of this THIS WEEK, I have his number and can give it to you. You'll be expected to take charge of the printers this week or next.

I prefer somebody who is associated in some way with a school (especially community colleges) in that general area (Oregon), because this guy deals with and knows the schools in the area because they handle the bread for most of them.

[***************]

My thoughts on this are:

Though I have not seen these printers personally, there will no doubt be 2 stepper motors per printer, with associated electronics. There will also be a belt, and some sprockets that match it. With so many printers of the exact same type, it may even be worthwhile for somebody to figure out how to reuse the electronics.

I have the printers/parts I need coming directly to me from my friend, so I don't need any parts from the person(s) doing the salvage. I would however expect that the parts would be sold here, for a reasonable price that will cover a reasonable wage for your time it tearing the printers apart.

Yes, this is a potential money-making opportunity for some dedicated high-school or college student in the area. It's spring break, right? Spend the week tearing printers apart and earn the money to make your own reprap (or three, if you can also salvage the electronics)

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
Hey I'm a poor college student in fort collins.... Actually I don't know if I have the time to rip apart and sell everything but I would be interested in a few stepper motors and associated hardware. How many printers do you have in Denver?

-Ben
Re: FREE! 250 old okidata printers for salvage in Salem, OR, USA.
April 18, 2010 08:18PM
May not have any, unfortunately. I'll get my twelve, but since the ones in Salem haven't been taken up, we may not get the ones in Denver.

I know several people in the fort collins area that might be interested in helping with the project though. I guess that I'll have to wait and see.

--
Go to Simba-WebSales.com there alot of those type parts new in our stock.
Really hate to ask... Are these still available? I am in Portland, OR...
Re: FREE! 250 old okidata printers for salvage in Salem, OR, USA.
January 07, 2011 12:03PM
No, I regret to say they've all gone to the dump at this point. I'm still thinking that I'll be getting five or six more, but the ones elsewhere are officially gone.

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login