Interest Gauge: $10 plastruder plastic laser cut parts kit

Posted by PhantomAGN 
Interest Gauge: $10 plastruder plastic laser cut parts kit
May 19, 2010 01:21PM
Hey all!
My school club has:
A A 45W laser cutter
B Nearly infinite scrap plastic by donation

We're wondering if we could sell something easy to mass-produce for cheap, and fund the purchase of more reprap electronics and metal components.
We're building a large repstrap, and it'll be able to print someday soon, so funding the rest of whatever we can print (mendels probably) is a big issue.

If there's interest, I'll organize the club to work out how to sell things efficiently in the next week or two.
Alternatively, we would probably be able to laser cut whatever fits in 12x24x1/4, though I cannot guarantee that it would work on the first try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2010 07:58PM by PhantomAGN.
Re: Interest Gauge: $10 plastruder plastic laser cut parts kit
May 24, 2010 02:34AM
We're wondering if we could sell something easy to mass-produce for cheap, and fund the purchase of more reprap electronics and metal components.

LaserCut Mendel: [reprap.org] !!!
pst: You may want to buy a set of [reprap.org] if you sell a few LaserCut Mendels. grinning smiley

Where are you based by the way? Do you have a local RepRap User Group, (besides you guys)?

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 28, 2010 10:56AM
Seattle, Washington. As I'm the only one with a printer at the moment we don't do much meeting outside our club, though I keep meaning to go to the Metrix.
We're barely functioning as a club this month on account of schoolwork and laziness, though that should change sometime soon when work lets up a bit.

The techzone lasercut mendel is neat, though it requires quite a bit of post-proccessing and cannot easily be made from acrylic, so it would be far from free. There's another lasercut mendel by a guy in germany I think, so if we get his design files we might try that one.

We are also going to see if we can mill parts, and a sub-project for giving the CNC machine a fourth axis is in the ideas stage, which would let us do things like pulleys and shaft splining. We haven't got a lathe unfortunately.
June 21, 2010 11:21PM
I pulled out a batch of plastic parts today, and I now have about nine sets of the makerbot-designed MK-4 plastruder.
I think the lowest alternative price is $21 is that right?
I need to maximize profits, as we seem to have only one week of laser cutting time remaining. What price would YOU pay for the plastic in a MK-4 motor block?
I'll probably be selling through PayPal and I need to calculate shipping.
June 21, 2010 11:43PM
There's another lasercut mendel by a guy in germany I think, so if we get his design files we might try that one.
Hmmm ... Link?

What price would YOU pay for the plastic in a MK-4 motor block?
You know, ebay is very good at answering questions like this. smiling smiley
June 25, 2010 03:40PM
Well, Ebay sure is nice, but it costs money to list things.
I'd rather see one organized place to list things for the reprap/3d printer market than a million different ebay stores and websites (which is kinda what we have now).
June 28, 2010 06:16PM
Ok, I got a box, got the parts, and got a price point quote!
$10 parts, $4.85 shipping. Just like I thought originally, it's about $15 total.

Parts:
One Motor Plate
One Filament Guide
Two of those layers that go on either side of the filament guide
One top plate
One Insulator Retainer Mount-thing
Three idler wheels, because they tend to die first

There's a small collection of metal parts needed for this to be bolted together, which I'll organize and post shortly.
Oh, and mounting systems like the makerbot dinos, which I can add in.

And of course an image taken by my not-so-great laptop camera.

Sorry didn't really follow previously mentioned posts

I'm interested in buying a plastruder.

Questions:
Is it assembled?
If not:
who makes it? what version? What parts do I need to make it fully assembled assumming I already have an x, y, and z axis.

Please contact me via e-mail
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login