Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[UK] £299 Full 3d printer reprap kits April 2011

Posted by progomez 
Re: [UK] £299 Full 3d printer reprap kits April 2011
May 20, 2011 09:56AM
Hi Promogez,

I really like the look of the printer. It's sleek, and it will look cool on a desk next to a Mac. I also like regular repraps, but they just don't look right on a sleek desk (but hey, they were never designed for that either).

I also like the price, £299 (or $500 as it appears on the website) is still reasonable for people (like me) that would like to have a 3D printer as a "gadget". You know, to be able to show prints to your mates (look, a whistle that I printed at home!), and to be able to print small objects from time to time (i.e. a case for an arduino project, replacing a broken plastic piece,...).

But didn't you say that there would also be a kit without the electronics (but including an extruder)? I already have some electronics (including the Pololu stepper drivers)... Or does it use custom (not-ramps) electronics, meaning that a kit without electronics would be useless?

NB: instead of indiegogo, I think you can also easily make a webshop with tons of software (zencart, oscommerce, magento, etc.). Take for instance google sites: it allows you to make a wiki (EDIT: but community-wise, the reprap wiki should not be forgotten) and you don't have to worry about hosting, software updates, etc. And since you live in the UK, you can also get a merchant account for google checkout and together with a google docs spreadsheet you can easily integrate that as a webshop (together with the wiki) in a google sites. See for examples (I am not affiliated with these sites) : [www.lakedistrictwatercolours.co.uk] [www.birdofpreycentre.co.uk] and [siteshelp.kccloudsolutions.com]. (Other shopping carts and checkout options -like PayPal- can probably also be found on the net)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 07:31AM by KristofDeBuysere.
Hi Promogez,

If i buy through indiegogo, am i guaranteed to get a 3d printer? What if you don't reach your £££'s goal, will you still deliver the printers?

Thanks

Ashley
May 20, 2011 10:26AM
Hi,
thanks for the kind words. IndieGoGo is just a start whilst I complete the website and testing. I will offer a kit without the electronics soon but just needed to get the word out.

I do like the reprap and respect everyone in the reprap community for what they have done and will continue to do.

I could have produced kits, for say the mendel, but decided a while ago that the bigger challenge was to produce a product which not only was functionally but, as you said, could be placed on a desk in a study (not that a reprap cannot in my eyes but my wife would disagree).

I am pleased with what I have made and hope that people will be too when they start shipping. It has taken a bit longer than I would have hoped but I am not in this for the short term but to get the product onto as many desks as in my opinion more users mean more development.

Its a good time. I am just trying to get the shipping price down and have started discussions about shipping the USA machines from within the states depending on the uptake.

Regards not reaching the goal. I have priced the item so that it will be possible for me to ship all units regardless of goal. The goal is the point where I can buy in bulk which in turn will ensure a small profit. This means that it is my interest to convince people of the merits of my design as my profit is tied to the machines success. This was never about making £500 per machine but the challenge of designing a machine to a price point.

The reason for the slight increase in price was to allow for indieGoGos fees as margins are tight considering the parts used. In time I will sell it for the £299 price (at the moment I think its around £325).

edit: it will be using the Ramps board. Did consider the Sanguinololu but couldnt get in contact. Ultimachine have been excellent.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 11:19AM by progomez.
May 20, 2011 09:09PM
I have revised the shipping costs and added some more perks.

Richard
May 21, 2011 07:30AM
Hi Promogez,

Nice that you added the first kit (without the electronics), and that you lowered the shipping costs (they were relatively high, but then I understand that it is also heavy).

Does the first kit (without electronics) contain an extruder?

Although I am doubting whether or not I should wait for the website where we will be able to see videos, and also be able to assess the print & build quality.

Nice job!
May 21, 2011 08:04AM
Hi,

All kits come with an extruder. I have gone with a wade/bowden variation. I would wait to see prints and videos. The campaign runs for 30 days.

I could have gone with a lighter case design but wanted it to be dual purpose, pcb milling, and simpler to assemble.

Richard
May 21, 2011 08:54AM
This is the hot end I am testing without the aluminium resistor block:

How do I edit my reprap wiki?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 09:10AM by progomez.
Attachments:
open | download - hot end.jpg (76.9 KB)
Hi Progomez

Nice work

Do you think you may have an option of collecton?
Could be kit form or pre-built this may give you the cash injection to
buy more stock? Im sure im not the only one who would be
interested to purchase in this way.

Think the printer looks great.

Dave
(Manchester)
May 22, 2011 04:19AM
Actually collection could be an option. Also in time I would like to offer a means of veiwing the machine maybe at a meet or club. I would prefer people could see the item before preordering as even youtube doesnt give a sense of size or build.

Richard
May 22, 2011 12:12PM
Looks insanely well dude!
What's the cheapest for me? A trip to the UK, or postal to Belgium? Also: can I use default 3mm PLA/ABS? And what's the accuracy of this project? I'm searching something like the Ultimaker ;-)

Many thanks for posting!

Ruben
May 22, 2011 12:57PM
Im not sure how cheap it is to fly here. Im in the midlands near Nottingham.

The axis use t2.5 belts and 10x2d trapezoidal spindle with 1/16th step size on 1.8 deg motors. I am testing the extruder and find that it works well with either 1.75mm and 3mm with a change of the bowden cable and tip as Im now using a wade style feeder. The machine will ship without a heated bed but a pcb bed will be offered cheaply or as a downloadable file along with the spindle mount.

I do feel that PLA is better for the market Im aiming at.

Richard
May 22, 2011 01:05PM
It'll be by post :p Flying's too much €, just like trains. But (regarding indiegogo) $150 (=€105), seems very much for just shipping?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2011 03:31PM by rubdos.
May 22, 2011 08:43PM
perhaps Progomez will make a kit without the wood and you can source that yourself - I'm sure that'll be the heaviest part and the cheapest to reproduce locally
May 23, 2011 07:28AM
@Rubdos: I'm in Belgium as well. Promogez will probably also be able to offer combined shipping, if we order together. But I'm also interested in the option of collection: I will have to travel to Manchester/Liverpool from time to time, beginning this summer. It should not be too far from there.
May 23, 2011 11:02AM
What would make it cheaper would be a package without the motors as these do add some weight and can be sourced in each country.

The wood parts are integral to the accuracy and strength of the build.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 05:19PM by progomez.
Who'se gonna take the plunge first!! hot smiley
May 23, 2011 05:18PM
I dont mind that people are waiting. I would. Was slightly rushed into the whole indiegogo thing. I am making sure that when it is released its because thats how I wanted it.

I have redesigned the extruder to fit with the machine. I am making sure that everything is safe(as you will see) and well designed(imo).

I do think that for £299 (which it will be) it is going to be worth the delays. Imagine the quality of the ultimaker( which is excellent), small for the desktop( approx 280,350,280) for £299 (in England if you pick up). That is what I aimed for and its nearly done.

If there is anyone out there who would like to get involved please email me your skills(ie. web design, electronics, programming) at richardjsum@yahoo.co.uk and once its finsihed we can meet up and see how you would like to get involved.

I want to make this the UK Makerbot(another excellent company).
Great I'm sure I could convince the better half it's worth a trip to Nottingham to see the sights (shops)

Dave
@progomez: You've got mail

Can you give an estimate when the first movies will be uploaded? Or pic's from the first printed objects?
May 24, 2011 12:55PM
Copy the one from Bas :-) here, count for me too :p
May 24, 2011 03:31PM
Im planning on uploading some movies soon. I understand there has been some delays but the result will be worth it. Im making sure everything is right the first time.

Richard
May 24, 2011 03:32PM
I'm really looking forward to see your SumPod building some sweet objects ^^ (no cake :p)
May 28, 2011 06:00AM
how are we going with these pics and videos ?
hope well winking smiley
May 28, 2011 02:06PM
Please just shoot SOMETHING, I'd really love to see anything in progress ^^
May 28, 2011 06:51PM
Hi, sorry for the lack of updates but just finishing things off. Videos will come soon.

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 06:51PM by progomez.
We are just really curious! Can you give an estimation when you will start shipping the 3D printers? In 5 weeks I have vacation so it should be great if I can play with my own sumopodspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 29, 2011 11:56AM
@ Bas, the same here ^^
Any news on this?
Bas
June 02, 2011 02:17PM
4 weeks in the mean time... By the way I send you an email about the electronics!

(sorry for bumping this topic again but now I have registered I can subscribe for a notification email so I dont have to check 3 times a day)
June 02, 2011 02:54PM
Hi,
its been a busy May. Design is finalised just testing now. I thought I replied to your electronics question? Ill look again, have been busy so sorry if I overlooked it.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login