Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[US] Basic RepRap parts

Posted by aries420 
[US] Basic RepRap parts
January 25, 2012 02:04PM
ill keep it short and simple
im poor dont have a job or car and i live basicly in the middle of nowhere
and was hoping someone kind enough would send me all the stuff needed to build a basic RepRap
and in return i will print parts for free to whoever needs them.
there ya go short and simple

thanks for reading
Re: [US] Basic RepRap parts
January 25, 2012 04:19PM
If you are poor, shouldn't you be begging for food and not reprap parts? You can't eat reprap parts, but you can eat food. If you are poor and need to beg for reprap parts, where are you going to get plastics to extrude? Are you going to come here and beg again? You don't die from not having reprap, so it's not a neccessity.

That's the problem with human beings. They can't take care of dogs but they get one anyway and then they abuse them and leave them on the streets. They don't have the financial resources to have kids yet they have kids anyway and then they get mad when things don't pan out.

Critical thinking skills and common sense is so important. I guess they don't teach that in schools anymore. Forget reprap in schools, how about they start teaching critical thinking skills and common sense to people/kids in schools.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 04:23PM by snoopy.
January 25, 2012 09:28PM
OK, folks. time out. Deep breath.

It's OK to beg for parts here, it's the "Wanted" forum after all.

For what it's worth, it is often the case that someone who receives donated parts then spreads the goodness and gives free parts to others. Some don't even get as far as finishing their build, but the world is not perfect.
January 26, 2012 02:01PM
you know what I finally get why your so mad snoopy, your not making money off me and i get that.
January 31, 2012 04:56AM
One problem discouraging the few of us potentially willing to just give away parts is that it happened before that people just put some freebies they received for sale on ebay.

So I believe you should try to find someone in your neighboorhood (that can be larger than a town at the reprap scale), who can get to somewhat know you and build enough trust.

Or you could buy a repstrap out of salvaged wood or metal, and progressively upgrade it. It's a trade of time and workload against money spent.

On a side note, it maybe possible to get free printed parts, but you'd probably still be on your own for vitamins, electronics, motors etc (although most of that can be salvaged if you have some free time).
February 01, 2012 06:51AM
The username you chose aries420 also implies that you have other "hobbies" that you are willing to spend money on? Anybody else catch that one, or just me?
February 01, 2012 07:22AM
johnoly99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The username you chose aries420 also implies that
> you have other "hobbies" that you are willing to
> spend money on? Anybody else catch that one, or
> just me?

I don't, but that maybe cultural difference. Anyway, I believe you shouldn't try to decide if his request is legitimate based on such a little assumption smiling smiley
February 03, 2012 09:01AM
yes the number in my name implies that i have other "hobbies"(*WINK)* as you put. but your forgetting i live in the middle of nowhere and it is a herb, so i will let you put the rest together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 09:04AM by aries420.
February 03, 2012 09:03AM
DeuxVis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One problem discouraging the few of us potentially
> willing to just give away parts is that it
> happened before that people just put some freebies
> they received for sale on ebay.
>
> So I believe you should try to find someone in
> your neighboorhood (that can be larger than a town
> at the reprap scale), who can get to somewhat know
> you and build enough trust.
>
> Or you could buy a repstrap out of salvaged wood
> or metal, and progressively upgrade it. It's a
> trade of time and workload against money spent.
>
>
> On a side note, it maybe possible to get free
> printed parts, but you'd probably still be on your
> own for vitamins, electronics, motors etc
> (although most of that can be salvaged if you have
> some free time).

yes that would be nice and i love to find a neighbor but the closest house to me is 20 miles away,not exactly 20 but around it.
February 12, 2012 10:19PM
If you can scrap money together by any means, you'll find a working reprap can pay for itself fairly easily. I broke even on mine after selling just 3 RP part sets (£150 cost of reprap, ~£50 profit per set). I'd be very very surprised if anyone will give you such easily sellable parts for free though. Any way you can scavenge parts from rubbish dumps? That saved me >£100 straight away.
February 13, 2012 12:47AM
dude I've spent about 40+ bucks on the motors 30 bucks on a printed wade's another 80 odd bucks on the electronics (without stepper drivers 130 (including shipping for 10 pololu steppers ( that's two spares and 4 x2 for two rep raps which I'm planning) for the metal parts I spent about 30 bucks for 1 reprap and that's with alot of stuff I already have at hand, 25 bucks for 1/2 ptfe rod and 1/4 peek for an experiment I have planned regarding hotends plus 10 bucks for pla bushings "thanks Deuxvis" plus a few bucks for kapton tape other odd's and ends I already had (like 1/2" aluminum plate welding tips + brass air hose things for a modified wildeye's $10 my odds and ends I already had about 400 bucks mind you I bought enough for 2 electonics sets, endless hotends (4 feet of PTFE rod LOL) and that's without plastic parts set, but gotta tell ya it's difficult to make the verticies unless you have some decent tools not to mention the other parts, I just paypaled someone 10 bucks for pla bearing I will need to make my own heated bed for now but I gotta source some nichrome wire so that adds as well to the equation, in the end I will have spent $500 and have a second set of electronics and three spare motors but I will need to source two more motors, rods and some printing material to get the second one up and running. so my ghetto way of buying more to save some pennies increased my investment but in the end I will make the money back by selling one of the two. But that is at least another month or three off, because I will have to learn a bunch along the way as well. Since I am under employed I have the time to make the wooden parts to replace the plastic parts for now and me deciding to go with certain things after research like GT2 pulley's I hope will eliminate alot of the printing quality problems other noobs like me have to deal with. but I may have to invest another 150 on hotends if my experiments fail, I doubt it because when it comes to heat transfer I'm pretty smart, I am still listed as a mod for the now defunct silent pc yahoo group, during the time that group was up and running I learned a hell of alot about heat transfer, so some of the ideas I have should work quite nicely.
Anyways I hope you understand one thing
Free parts after the investment we made is rare I tried to get just the pla bushings on loan well didn't happen now I had a nice guy reduce the price for me, which ensures that I'll be able to at least print a completed set before I'll run into trouble with the wood parts I'mma making.

But a reprap is a massive investment for now the $200 hopeful limit the gada prize is looking at doesn't seem to be feasible for a while right now cost to build a single one = about US $500 maybe US$ 400 if your scrounge for some of the parts, if you plan ahead you maybe able to get away with $325 each if your sourcing parts for two at the same time and you build the first set of printed parts out of wood in order to save that $60- $100 that the printed parts go for.
As for stepper motors unless you can find a bunch of old epson printers your pretty much SOL when it comes to scavenging for motors most newer printers use smaller motors with a big gear basis or just regular motors with some sort of different feedback circuit so useless for us.
Good luck scrounging for parts I recommend you look at some of the metal and wood straps before you consider your first build it's quite involved ya know.
terramir
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login