Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanted High resolution reprap

Posted by Davybones 
Wanted High resolution reprap
February 22, 2012 10:57PM
Hello all,
I am new to the 3D printing area I am wondering if it is possible to create a high resolution Prusa or other reprap such that it has accuracy of 0.01 inches or better, I understand you can buy smaller nozzles and adjust the motor settings to trade speed for accuracy, is this correct?

or if I should purchase a 3D printer from a place such as desktopfab [www.desktopfab.com]
which offers rapman or 3D touch which they claim to have resolution of 0.01 inches and .005 inches.

Thank you for your response the help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Wanted High resolution reprap
February 23, 2012 12:49AM
Most 3d printers around these days have far better positioning accuracy than .005in, reprap or otherwise. None of them will actually make big parts which do not have some type of warping out of that 0.005". It's very part dependent.

What are your other required specs/intended uses?

www.Fablicator.com
February 23, 2012 11:35AM
Hello
Thank you for the reply
Basically I want to buy a printer. I have seen printed parts made using a dimension 1200 printer that look really nice.
surface roughness (RMS tolerance) is noticeable if you look at it closely.
From the 3D prints I have seen using a Rep Rap that Surface roughness looks a lot more exaggerated and is highly visible.
looking at The gallery for the 3D touch printer the parts have an RMS that looks much better (closer to the dimension 1200). I understand that due to heating and cooling of the plastic there will be some warp occurring depending on the geometry the dimensions could hold higher tolerances if they are thicker. I am also interested in dimension tolerances.

The reason I put this in the wanted section is,

I would like to purchase a 3D printer such as a RepRap Prusa that has been built by someone who knows more about them than I do and has tuned it or used correct parts such that it has a small surface roughness and has as high an accuracy as possible for a low cost version. I am willing to spend around $1,000 U.S. dollars (or less than the $1700 that desktop fab has theirs for)

I have looked at the Fablicator web site and those printers look great when do you anticipate them being ready for purchase and what accuracy do you expect from them.

Thank you
Bryan
February 23, 2012 12:19PM
Well, the 3d touch and the $1700 (i'm assuming rapman) are completely different calibers of printer.

If you watch their videos, the BFB printers get nice finishes mostly by going slowly. I'm not sure what the actual head travel rate is though.

A lot of repraps can do similar quality if they take their time. It seems most reprappers are trying to be speed demons these days, but the quality improves a lot if you keep the speeds to 20-40mm/s (similar to what the 3d touch appears to do from videos)

If things go wrong with the printer (like they often do in reprap land) it will be much easier to repair if you have a BFB since there are others exactly like you in the world, where it seems each reprap is a bit unique. On the other hand there are usually a pile of reprappers who will help out even if your machine is unique.

Good luck, and ALWAYS check out customer feedback if you are goign to buy from a company who sells completed repraps...

We'll (hopefully!) start having completed Fablicators available 3-4 weeks from now. They are more expensive though (priced closer to the $3K 3d touch) so I'll skip the shameless plug winking smiley

www.Fablicator.com
February 23, 2012 08:09PM
Thank you Andrew for the information. I like example models that you have up on the website

Is there any one out there that has the ability the desire to build a high resolution reprap Prusa?
Thanks
February 24, 2012 02:02AM
honestly 1000 is a bit low if you want high resolution and high build quality, repraps are going newly built for 900 on eBay and that is with pla bushings and t5 belts, if you want high resolution (finer surface area) A you need to go with the new java host software and micro layering, and well I'd say gt2 belts lm8uu and precision ground 8mm rods so your looking at at least 1200 with those upgrades I mentioned for a fully functioning printer and that is not including about 150 for shipping and handling.
paying 1700 might be nice but I really can only say one thing about those printers they are based on the darwin / makerbot designs and well it's old news that much I can say. prusa will do fine if you print slowly and have a good builder, but your looking at - at least $1350 with shipping if you want a fully calibrated printer from someone you know is doing it right ask to see there already printed stuff before you let them build you one, and ask at what speeds with what software they printed those things.
Good luck
terramir
February 24, 2012 01:25PM
Hello terramir,

That sound exalty like what I needed to know and what I want in a printer
Do you know of someone you would recomend who would do this for $1200 and then I would pay shipping?

Thanks
Bryan
February 24, 2012 01:50PM
spacexula has printed a part at a .o1 layer height with a a makergear prusa
i have one but im using the hotend on my orca3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login