This page shows the steps in modifying the Pirate3D's Buccaneer. It uses much of the brains from Sid.
You will need a RAMPS1.4 board, a metre of high temperature wire for the heating element, some wires for the thermistor and limit switch. You can also reuse some of the wires that we will no longer be using (eg. fan wires)
We will bypass the auto bed levelling as it does not work well on different surfaces.
Steps to convert the hardware for connecting to a RAMPS 1.4
- Cut the connections on the heating block between the heating resistor and the electronic board on the head. Solder on high temperature wires.
- Cut thermistor connections and solder on wires
- Cut print head limit switch from the board and solder on wires
- Cut head fan wires and solder on wires
- Extruder motor connections remain. We will use the original connector wires. See picture for pins.
- We will not be using the lights and big fan on the cover. Remove the microprocessor board and power supply board. We will not be using the original power supply.
Please refer to Sid's electronic connections when in doubt
- Heater and head fan connections:
- Thermistor connection
- X, Y, Z motor connections
- Extruder motor connection
- Endstops position
- Endstops connection
Download Marlin firmware [] for BucSid
At Line 384 of Configuration.h:
#define Z_MAX_POS 157.08
Change the value "157.08" to suit your required bed level height. This will require some experimentation. Upload the firmware onto the controller board.
This firmware was tested to compile and upload using Arduino IDE v1.0.5 [] Try this version if the later IDE versions do not work
Setting up Cura
Add a new machine with the following settings:
Download the slicing settings from [] and open profile.
- Don't use the guide tube. It causes filament breakage and adds unnecessary friction. Feed filament directly into extruder
- I use Kapton tape on blue tape on the bed:
Model of Pieta can be downloaded from []
- Some accessories can be downloaded from: []
For any queries, please email weiin[AT]simplifi3d[DOT]asia