Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Prusa's first steps (without magic smoke)

Posted by Vortex87 
My Prusa's first steps (without magic smoke)
October 06, 2011 03:44PM
So, after months of slowly ordering the parts and doing work in my free time, my machine is almost ready. At first I was going to use RAMPS but I liked the Gen 6 simplicity with everything on one board. I will use my arduino mega for the other projects I create with my Prusa. Anyways, I have two computer power supplies (I got them used for a great price) I am just very worried about making sure the voltage, current, and where I could cut power in an emergency without damaging any components. I understand that it is dangerous to cut power to the driver circuits because it can cause damage. I have a laptop supply rated at 24 volts and like 2+ amps as well as a (standard) pc atx power supply. Unfortunately I have no connectors so my connections will have to be soldered. I don't have much electrical background but I learn quick. I'm extremely nervous about sending power to my $170 Gen 6 board, and my steppers. I don't want any magic smoke haha. I will continue my search for the wiring schematics for the Gen 6 and a stable power supply, any advice would be greatly appreciated. After I get everything wired correctly its simply a matter of getting a hot end and plastic.

I just finished cutting the notches in my wade's extruder bolt. I've seen other tutorials but if you got a steady hand, this seems to be like a great extruder system. What I did was take a small hobby vise (about $7) and a scap board and carefully used a cutting wheel on my dremel. The trick seemed to be is body position where you can stablize your hand holding the tool. Obviously you need safety glasses as you need to look very closely to create the spikes. As we all know, twisting threaded rod barehanded can cut, turn that smooth edge serrated. Quick tests with a ~3mm piece of coated wire showed great gripping strength. Ahh, victory seems so close at hand, all I need now is the hot end and plastic and I'm in business grinning smiley
Re: My Prusa's first steps (without magic smoke)
October 06, 2011 09:18PM
Keep at it.
I was nervous too about power,
but the first time you here her move back home after a print, a great relief will pour over and you will begin to wonder what is not possible with this magnificent machine. (there isnt much!)
I will admit. i burned up a pololu driver. I feel it was a right of passage lol as you will find many people, experienced or not, have burned one up.
Happy printing.
-E
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login