Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprap nascar (live video of long print)

Posted by hardtoe 
reprap nascar (live video of long print)
October 08, 2011 03:31AM
I'm starting an epic print of a Prusa Mendel plate. It's a parady of nascar because it will probably be very long and mostly uninteresting except for a few bits and pieces with a chance of catastrophic failure.

watch the live stream now:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hardtoe-s-prusa-mendel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 03:37AM by hardtoe.
Re: reprap nascar (live video of long print)
October 08, 2011 12:59PM
Cool.
Im watching your video full screen with a window opened with this stream

snille's eMakerHuxley stream

ISTAR Scope Club
October 08, 2011 03:50PM
Clever!
That's actualy pretty cool.
I guess it means you can keep an eye on it from anywhere too!
October 08, 2011 06:21PM
my brother has a makerbot and he wanted to be able to check out my prints. it's nice to be able to see it away from home, but if anything goes wrong, there's not much i can do until i get back!

on this print, looks like there is some pretty bad warping on the x-end-motor in the lower right corner. i'll need to move that piece to the left and see if i can't put any small bits next to the x-end-motor to keep it warmer. the x-carriage and y-motor-mount are both warping a bit too, may still be usable.

looks like a need another rev of this plate. going to let it finish though as most of the pieces will be usable.
October 08, 2011 06:32PM
hardtoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my brother has a makerbot and he wanted to be able
> to check out my prints. it's nice to be able to
> see it away from home, but if anything goes wrong,
> there's not much i can do until i get back!

eye popping smiley eye popping smiley

I desperately hope you never have to watch your house burn down through that camera! I definitely lack the confidence in my machine to leave it on while I'm away. Not that it's ever spontaneously combusted or anything, but it's sometimes hard to realize that these things are basically machines that rapidly position a piece of metal so hot it can cause paper to ignite. Just one thermistor malfunction away from a runaway hot end that keeps thinking it's not hot enough…
You'd might not be able to do anything till you get back, but if you set up RDP/VNC/Teamviewer or whatever your favorate is to your PC you could maybe pause the job if you see it's starting to go totaly wrong.

yeah I did notice the warping on the part on the bottom left...
Saw you adjusting something there,
Were you in your PJs? :p hehe.
October 08, 2011 07:25PM
yeah, that would be a bummer.

has anyone ever had their extruder heater block runaway like that in the middle of a print?
October 08, 2011 07:27PM
well, that's what i get for having a live feed. got back from mountain biking and i decided that i will not be leaving the house again.

probably going to kill this print in a few minutes and start up a different one. there are some quality problems that i need to take care of. also, i'm using waay too much infill.
se5a
October 08, 2011 08:02PM
Pointedstick Wrote:

> I desperately hope you never have to watch your
> house burn down through that camera! I definitely
> lack the confidence in my machine to leave it on
> while I'm away. Not that it's ever spontaneously
> combusted or anything, but it's sometimes hard to
> realize that these things are basically machines
> that rapidly position a piece of metal so hot it
> can cause paper to ignite. Just one thermistor
> malfunction away from a runaway hot end that keeps
> thinking it's not hot enough…

Sounds like a problem that could be fixed by mesuring what you're putting through the hotend, and matching that up with what the thermistor is telling you.

You're going to get a fair bit of variation depending on how fast you're feeding the material through, but you should be able to get enough of a comparison that you could know if the thermistor is broke.

(note: I'm still just a wanabe/wanahave, so just going of what I've read/understood so far)
October 08, 2011 10:16PM
looks like the video stream died...going to turn it off on my end as well. maybe later this week i'll be able to print a successful plate of prusa mendel parts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login