Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experiences with Mix Shop?

Posted by Foogoo 
Experiences with Mix Shop?
October 22, 2011 02:00AM
Has anyone done any business with Mix Shop? I'm very tempted to order the Prusa kit from them because it's priced almost half of some other kits out there, but I'm a bit wary since I haven't been able to find any feedback on them.
Re: Experiences with Mix Shop?
October 25, 2011 04:25PM
I'm also curious about Mixshop, I live in the Greater Toronto Area, so I could pick up locally. Anyone?
October 25, 2011 05:50PM
I bought most of my Prusa kit from Mixshop. When I started though, they didn't offer as much as they do now.

I'm in Vancouver so the shipping and lack of customs charges was great...shipping was basic expresspost cost and very reasonable.

I only had a couple minor issues:
- the aluminum thick sheet I bought was missing the holes for the belt clamps (I just drilled them myself) and were pretty scratched up
-the Wade's extruder kit was missing some parts - I thought it was a complete kit but didn't include the PEEK block.

When I ordered, they also didn't have filament/nozzle diameter options either but it looks like they've made that clearer and more obvious now.

I'd definitely buy from them again though...as the rest of my parts are quality and reasonably priced compared to getting them stateside or overseas. They also arrived quite quickly across the country too.

I'm documenting my build progress here if you want to see the actual hardware: [jobie.me]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 01:55AM by johnbiehler.
October 25, 2011 08:11PM
I bought a couple of brass hobbed inserts fro a sells mendel shipped to New Zealand took 2 weeks which is standard fro anything I get from the US

October 29, 2011 10:49PM
I got my kit from there as well and had great service. Something went wrong with the shipping to the US at the time. They worked to correct it and even bumped my standard ground shipping up to UPS without any extra charge. I was very happy with the kit contents as well as the service. I would definitely buy from them again.
October 31, 2011 04:00PM
thats good i just found out about them myself. i needed a few small things they had so i thought i would give them a try. i only ordered last night so i will have to wait about a week or so to find out i guess.

i gotta give them credit on there full kits though not a bad price if the quality is there.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
November 04, 2011 03:03AM
I'm also from NZ had a bit of a delay, because it was over 2kg they sent it surface post 3-6 weeks, After 10 days it still hadn't left and when I asked why the goods hadn't been sent they bumped it up to air freight. and it arrived around 10days later minus 1 item. Apart from the missing Nichrome wire, the goods arrived in ok condition, but looked like they'ed been packed for a trip across town.
November 13, 2011 06:23PM
Bought my Prusa full kit (plastic parts not included) which included all mechanical and electronics. Best value for Canadian buyers.
Shipping was delayed due to backorder, fairly smooth transaction.
A couple of screws and bolts were missing, still waiting for those.
leighs
February 29, 2012 11:32PM
Decent guys. Mech eng students and they have a bunch of printers running and are willing to show you their work. I live close and picked up from them. They were flexible with pickup timing and happy to help me out. Definitely would recommend them. Just send them an email.
March 01, 2012 12:02AM
I too got the Prusa Kit (Plastic not inc...) and had no real issues.

Also for me they are a short drive downtown to pick-up. smiling smiley

Great service.
March 01, 2012 12:10AM
I also just purchased a whole bunch of stuff from them. The price is reasonable and everything seems fine. I called them after I purchased online and I picked it up a couple hours later. Its a small shop and they are friendly.

-----old thread, I didn't realize it-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 12:17AM by jininjin.
March 01, 2012 12:56AM
i will buy from them again, i think there a good thing, and a2a too, my one purchase through them was good, saved me money vs buying south of the boarder. my only part with issue was that the 6mm hole for one of the hot ends i bought from them was not drilled at 90 deg it was a little off, it took a bit of work to file it even close to flat. and some of the other stuff i got from them i thought was really well made. i think they just need to pay a little more attention to some details.

that and i hope they can start to buy more pla and abs so that they can start to get a better price, i like my 5lbs rolls

oh and is it me or is there site down, and i use open dns

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 12:58AM by dissidence.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 01, 2012 10:22AM
I've bought filament and some thermistors from them. I dropped by their shop for a pick up once and have had filament delivered through the mail. Very friendly guys.
March 01, 2012 10:57AM
Purchased my Prusa Mendel hardware kit from them, plus some bed springs and I've got no major complaints. The Z threaded rods did need some grinding down to get nuts to thread on them, but the other threaded rods were just fine. I wound up replacing just those with stainless 318 later anyway.

But everything was well packed and arrived to the US very quickly.
March 03, 2012 11:09AM
I bought the full prusa mendel kit. They did have good customer service and promptly responded to emails. The hot-end and hobbed bolt were not good and needed replaced before the printer worked well. The hot-end was the old design and the barrell will push out of the PTFE. The hobbed bolt needed a better cut in order to keep ABS from slipping. The rest of the parts, including the electronics, worked well. I would buy from them again-for certain items.
March 04, 2012 02:07AM
@Haywire:

I orderd a full kit from them as well. What was wrong with the hot-end and hobbed bolt? did they replace it for you? Im new to all this stuff and am not sure what to 'look out' for.

Also, do you guys have any experience to the filaments from a2a or mixshop?

Thanks!
March 04, 2012 10:11AM
Mix shop filament is the only thing I've tried so far.

So, I can't say if it's good, bad or average. But it is working for me. smiling smiley
March 04, 2012 11:46PM
A friend of mine in the my local reprap group bought filament from mixshop. I took a caliper to it and the variation was roughly 2.85- 2.96mm in a length that was roughly 30cm. So variation wise its not too bad, I'll be helping him with calibration and tweaking the settings next week so I'll get back with the results

March 05, 2012 03:40AM
2.85mm to 2.96mm in 30cm is actually very poor. That is about the maximum variation I get from one reel to the next from reprapsource.com, but within a reel it is much more consistent.

If it changes that much within one print you will notice a reduction in print quality.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 05, 2012 04:04AM
Ideally the tolerance should be +/- 0.001 but the reason why I said it isnt too bad is from my personal experience with filament that varies from 2.9-3.3 0 in a distance of 15cm haha....and yet the filament is still usable but you can see the filaments variation in the print quality that results.

March 06, 2012 03:20PM
i love mixshop. i've ordered from them twice and the parts shipped quickly both times.
March 06, 2012 04:19PM
i hope they are getting enough of a costumer base to stay in open and running i know there getting more orders than a2a, my order number with them was allot lower than i was expecting. but i do feel they need to step up there quality on some things, it seems like my orders range from great to just pass able, but there good enough that i will order from them again but i will continue to order my larger spools from ultimachine until i see the larger rolls for sale here, and better consistency would not hurt too.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 23, 2012 09:52AM
Follow-up on this thread-

Same experience as Haywire with the hot end I bought there [store.mixshop.com]

I've had it running for less than three months and have had a failure with the barrel coming loose from the PTFE and teh PTFE softening... Not an issue with the hot end build quality, just an issue with the design - I don;t think I'd buy that style again...

-Rob A>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 10:17AM by RobA.
April 27, 2012 12:50AM
I just bought a prusa kit from them. I had some questions about compatibility with Prusa V2 parts, and the Greg's Accessible extruder parts, and they were very informative, friendly, and included an extra bolt that I needed for the extruder.

Hasn't arrive yet, just shipped a few days ago and I'm in Vancouver, but we'll see. I hope the hot end and the hobbed bolt are okay, after reading this thread.
April 28, 2012 01:17PM
They are priced low. You get what you pay for. I purchased a near full kit. Enough of the parts that recieved were so flawed or useless that it actually cost me more in the long-run replacing the pieces individually through other sellers.
April 28, 2012 02:17PM
Seems to be a lot of mixshop bashing going on...

@pwn4: The hobbed bolt they gave me works great on my wades extruder.

@Motolov: Which pieces were flawed or useless? Im sure if you emails them that they would replace them.

I'll say my piece. I bought the full prusa kit from them over 2 months ago. I didn't know what to expect since this was my first reprap build so I emailed them with a lot of questions and they promptly replied (1-2 days, even on weekends!).

All the equipment was as described and working. The only issue I had was with the threaded rods, I had some trouble getting the nuts on them, so I needed to use a dremel to clean it up a bit. The electronics worked with no issues (RAMPS 1.4, motors, power supply etc).

I also ordered some filament. They were out of stock for a while, but I eventually got it and its been working great!

I would definitely buy from them again in the future.
April 28, 2012 02:24PM
I will buy from them again too. But on something's that they do. Like there hot ends I would like to see them try a little harder on. Holes not drilled at a 90 deg angle. And some smaller things like that. I wanted to order filament from them but I ended up getting it at a2aprinter. I want them to get better so I can order more in Canada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 02:51PM by dissidence.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login