Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Family Tree

Posted by Gattling 
RepRap Family Tree
October 23, 2011 11:00PM
I was thinking, because the whole RepRap project was developed with evolution in mind, why not make a bit of a "RepRap Family Tree"?
Like, a little website where RepRappers can document things like who printed who's printer. For example, if I printed out parts for three printers, they then go out and print more parts for other printers, and so on and so forth, all the while documenting it on a website or wiki of sorts?

How does this idea sound to you guys? And if so, will anyone be willing to help make a website or tweek the current wiki site to do such a thing?
Re: RepRap Family Tree
October 24, 2011 03:17AM
Do you mean something like this: [reprap.org] or [reprap.org] ?

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
October 24, 2011 04:51AM
Those look like different designs rather than "who printed who's"
Cool idea though.
October 25, 2011 01:33AM
Yah, what "I" meant was more of a 'heratage' family tree. Like being able to root the history that 'your' printer, was printed on the printer that was printed by the original Darwin design. Or finding out that the parts for your printer were printed by RichRap or another person, who's parts where printed by another well known RepRapper.
October 25, 2011 06:06AM
The problem is the tree would be very wide. I have three machines, which between them have printed 500 children. A rather odd family!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 06:07AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 26, 2011 12:21PM
Well, that's the great thing about computers, we can keep a very extensive family tree in a simple thumb drive if need be. Though, I'm not proposing some huge effort of recording 'every' reprap ever produced and routing them to the original 3D printers that printed their parts, that's impossible. But, I was thinking of having a kind of RepRap Registry, where people can, if they want to, set up a tiny account and maybe have some form of printer records, like a little registry code you get with a video game to registure it on line, but instead, it's a code given to you to give out to the next potential reprapper with his/her parts so that when they are finished they can registure their printer so that they can get their own assigned number.

It would be interesting, being able to record the expansion of RepRaps through out the world and so forth. Not to mention it could build directories, see if there's someone near by who has a RepRap of their own that can help you, and as silly as it sounds maybe even RepRap family reunions. Imagine Nophead, a kind of interconnected family of geekdom.

Man... that does sound silly after I think about it :p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login