Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper continuity issue

Posted by nubspera 
Stepper continuity issue
October 24, 2011 03:44PM
I am just now getting my Prusa up and running and I'm having some issues with the stepper's.

I am using the MakerBot Gen4 electronics with some steppers i had from another project(Here - except that it is the .9degree step version). At the moment i am utilizing ReplicatorG to interface with the board.

The problem i am running into is that the steppers will not run continuously. Usually, when I connect to the board via the cpanel and move the stepper one way or the other, it will not start by itself(LED's on the stepper control board will flash slowly) but i can get the stepper to rotate if i give it a little nudge in the right direction. If, however it gets nudged again it is apt to stop spinning again.

Ive played with the potentiometer on the control boards i have(pololu) and the motors only try to do anything when it is at the max turn position.

My knowledge of how electricity should act, especial in this case, is rudimentary at best. I'm hoping someone can help me get a better grasp of what is happening.

I'm wondering if the amperage required for the motor i have is more than the board is able to deliver, as the motors i have seem to have a larger amperage allowance than what i am seeing being sold with the components elsewhere.

Thank you for your time.
Re: Stepper continuity issue
October 28, 2011 02:35AM
Well, if you want to troubleshoot this, you need access to know good working parts. First a stepper, and then electronics. The problem is going to be one or the other. If you can find a 0.8' stepper to test with, that would be best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login