Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y Axis Step (Pin 3) and Ground Pin Problems

Posted by RepRapRaj83 
Y Axis Step (Pin 3) and Ground Pin Problems
November 07, 2011 09:09AM
Hi,

I hope all are well on the forum.

I have been troubleshooting electronics problems for a while now in a different thread bit now have identified a clear issue which i think deserves a new thread for then sake of clarity.

The problem with movement on my Y axis connection on my Gen 3 Electronics. I have been checking connections across different components (Stepper Drivers/MB/Ribbon Cable) but have now identified a possible cause of the problem.

When checking connection between Pin number 3 on the Y axis header and any of the ground connection pins, I see the following.

On a functional set of electronics
When pin 3 is connected to any of the ground pins, I see no change from '1' which suggests there is no connection between the pins.

On a faulty set of electronics
When pin 3 is connected to any of the ground pins the multimeter (at the 2M) setting begins at roughly .190 and climbs up to about .750.

I'm not electronically minded so if anyone could help explain what could be the cause of this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Raj
Re: Y Axis Step (Pin 3) and Ground Pin Problems
November 07, 2011 03:22PM
Hi all,

Further have led me to find similar resistance behaviour when pins 2 and 5 or pins 5 and 6 are connected to the ICSP header on the motherboard (whilst powered off/disconected). When pins 2 and 6 are connected, a constant readout of 0.10 is shown.

The step pin connected to the Y axis is pin number 23 on the Gen3 Electronics and when connecting this to the ICSP header, the follwing is seen - as before working/non-working examples are given.

On a working set
Pins 1-6 across the ICSP Header all read '1' when connected to Pin 23 on the Y Axis.

On a non functioning board
Pin 1 reads '1'
Pin 2 reads '0'
Pin 3 sees the resistance increase from .190 to roughly 0.755 (at the 2m range)
Pin 4 as above
Pin 5 constant readout of 0.10 (2m range)
Pin 6 the same as pins 3 and 4

Im sure there are other areas to check but if anyone has some initial thought on what the cause is, let me know.

Thanks to all.

Raj
Re: Y Axis Step (Pin 3) and Ground Pin Problems
November 08, 2011 08:50AM
Hi all,

Probably not the best thing to have attempted but solder wicking around the motherboard ATMega chip seemed to sort the issue. Unfortunately i wasn't able to identify which pins were bridged. That said i'm not even sure if it was due solder bridges of if it was down to a broken connection(s) which was re-connected due to the solder wicking.

Anyways - 3 axis are working, i'm getting a temperature readout and my extruder works.

Thanks to everyone who helped with my previous issues.

Raj
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login