Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

switching from pla to abs - what recalibrations need to be done??confused smiley

Posted by Parabolic 
switching from pla to abs - what recalibrations need to be done??confused smiley
November 12, 2011 05:00PM
ok - finally got some abs in today so i figured id try a print. I used my standard - the mo-ring for my test print. it seems like more product is being extracted than when i had it loaded with pla - my first layer was REALLY fat and it seemed to develop some buggers along the way.
it completed the print ok - i think it looks better than the pla, but still has some gaps, etc. Also I cant seem to get it unstuck from the kapton/glass heated build plate. its cooling now - hopefully it will pop off when its cooled.
ive read many people think abs is better to print with - i guess i just got used to the pla properties.
so again,
what should i recalibrate, and what recommended test print items should i use??
thanks!
Jeff
Re: switching from pla to abs - what recalibrations need to be done??confused smiley
November 12, 2011 05:09PM
I have extensive experience printing with both, and they each have their particular benefits/pitfalls. They are both about equal difficulty to print with a heated bed (in my opinion.)

They are probably slightly different diameters of feedstock. Measure it with a calipers and input the proper diameter into skeinforge. Also, experimentally compare the steps/mm of PLA and ABS since the PLA tends to ride further out on the pinch wheel. Adjust the filament packing ratio in skeinforge accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 05:10PM by Andrew Diehl.

www.Fablicator.com
Re: switching from pla to abs - what recalibrations need to be done??confused smiley
November 12, 2011 05:15PM
thanks for the quick reply...
im really still a noob when it comes to the advanced settings like filiment packing. Im still kinda stumped about which calibration actually changes what property. i just got it to a happy medium with pla and left it...
i just did the thin wall calibration test - turned out MUCH better than pla, but i still have some slight open areas when it first starts the next layer after the z height change.
jeff
November 12, 2011 05:48PM
I'm in the same boat as you.

It doesn't seem to need any other changes than increasing heated bed and extruder temperatures.

I'm experiencing better bridging and less ooze with ABS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login