Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Say Hello To Slashdot.

Posted by vrogy 
Say Hello To Slashdot.
April 07, 2008 09:02PM
you'e frontpage at slashdot today: [hardware.slashdot.org]

I've actually been here and had a good, hard look around before, but the new work is pretty neat, so I went ahead and got an account. smiling smiley

There might be quite a few new folks today.. fair warning, etc.
Re: Say Hello To Slashdot.
April 08, 2008 06:37AM
Maybe we can get a new supplier out of it:

"Molds are quite expensive, especially those made in developed countries. I happen to live in a developing country, in one of the best/cheapest locations on the planet for making molds (or moulds, as our British friends say). Email me at gitorama@gmail.com if you need molds made, my company can get good quality at a low price."

From one of the slashdot comments.

Does someone who knows what they're talking about want to get in touch with him/her?
April 08, 2008 08:49AM
Many of the Slashdot people are missing the point behind Reprap, so I do see them as welcome as long as they are ignorant and still biased.

Jay
April 08, 2008 12:53PM
There was a similar incident in January involving Digg. You get four sorts of users:
Ones who click through, read the article, check references and comment.
Ones who click through, take the article at face value and comment.
Ones who read the headline and comment.
Ones who just make stuff up.

I'm guessing most of the ones who stick around and register on this forum are from the first group.

It'd be interesting to see a graph of number of users over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 12:55PM by Steve DeGroof.
April 08, 2008 04:06PM
I think a recycler (I know, idea has been around here for a while) would definitely be a unique selling point (besides the fact that the point is not selling the machine). I'd definitely want to reduce my household waste AND reduce consumption of my RepRap! Since us humans create infinite amounts of waste, turning this liability into an asset would be nice for a change.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
[www.budgetdedicated.com]
April 08, 2008 05:33PM
If we are lucky, recycling will be as simple as a working granule extruder*
and a blender:
[www.youtube.com]

*an extruder that uses granules as input rather than filament.
April 08, 2008 06:35PM
It looks like the same Computerworld article that got picked up by Slashdot also got picked up by KurzweilAI.net:
[www.kurzweilai.net]

Probably a smaller readership and more of the laid back types waiting for the 'rapture of the geeks' in the Singularity (I count myself as in that category for 90% of the stuff I read about there) but more exposure is good. And maybe a few of them will feel its exciting enough to get involved in.

Unfortunately the article doesn't have a link to the Reprap homepage on it or we'd probably get a lot more finding us.
April 08, 2008 11:19PM
It got someone's attention, that's for sure. The number of hits on my blog has gone up and a lot of the referring pages are google searches on "reprap kit".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login