Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which printer is best for me purchase

Posted by Sunny1986 
which printer is best for me purchase
December 05, 2011 05:11AM
I were looking for an cheap 3d printer, the UP seems like the most easy to use one.

What is you guy's input about the UP printer? How is the quality compared with bfb, makerbot, ultimaker?

They are offering a special price, at US$2,312, that is attractive for me. Maybe I can use a 3d printer print more printers? Thank you for the help to select a 3D printer for me.
Re: which printer is best for me purchase
December 05, 2011 10:25AM
Quality will be the same; all these printers can produce high-quality prints. The difference will be ease of calibration and use. An Up! is more of an appliance and less of a project. If you're handy and nerdy, you can get a printer that prints larger objects faster for about a quarter the cost. You need to judge for yourself what's the most important in entering this hobby (and it will be a hobby, even with an Up!). Build area? Speed? Ease of configuration? Ease of assembly? Materials you want to print in? Space available on your desk? Etc.
December 05, 2011 11:53PM
Thank you for your nice views. I will check & compare with the printers.
do not buy a botmill
January 02, 2012 03:11AM
Buy all the parts locally and build a Prusa, what country are you in? as there are threads for each country and there might be someone near you with a printer already

January 02, 2012 06:01AM

Buy all the parts locally

What's the advantage of buying locally?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 02, 2012 11:22AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buy all the parts locally
>
> What's the advantage of buying locally?

Theoretically, you could save on shipping. But you might lose out with sales taxes and higher prices. I've found that it's better to buy from as few places as possible once you've found good prices so you can minimize shipping costs.
January 02, 2012 03:08PM
I like the thought of less airmiles on things I purchases that I make, that's the thoughts behind home printing surely? I always try and buy locally I won't buy food that is imported

January 04, 2012 04:28AM
True for the idea of less global traffic. Then, for example, cheap stepper motors come from China, regardless wether you buy them locally or not.

Perhaps the best idea is to not buy at all, but to design and do more DIY. smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 04, 2012 06:53AM
There's a long and contorted story to that "buy locally" state of mind when applied to industrial goods (food staples behave differently)

Certainly, for the steppers and any permanent magnet devices, China has local access to rare earth minerals, and the workforce...

On the other hand, outside of the main "technological cluster" regions, many specialized devices are sort of hard to source "locally" in the lack of a mass market. Add to this the fact that a huge proportion of the population of formerly industrial countries has been intentionally trained into paperwork and administrative tasks instead of tech problem solving.
Still, there's one activity missing in the list: scavenge locally... and you'll be surprised! There's an incredible mass of useful goods going into every city recycling bins. Old printers, computers, VCRs are a great sources of parts.Plus, dismantling 'em is a crash course on home appliance engineering history.
January 07, 2012 12:56AM
Yep I spend a fair amount of time at the local recyclers, can't remember the last time I bought cables for any sort of computer or a lot of other stuff like brackets for all the shelving in my workshop, all scavenged

January 08, 2012 01:15AM
Hi!
Any thoughts regarding Huxley vs Mendel vs Mini-Mendel?
I'm fairly experienced at DIY electronic projects, and software.
Thanks
/Dave
January 08, 2012 12:13PM
Mendel: 200x200mm printing area is sweet - even if you infrequently use it all.
Who would want any less ?

Huxley et al: have the hysteresis problems of bowden filament pushers been solved?
January 08, 2012 04:37PM
Thanks for the reply; I had not known about the bowden hysterisis problem.
200x200 mm sounds rather more than I figured I'd need, though.
Decisions, decisions...
/Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login