Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breakaway support

Posted by ahbtsang 
Breakaway support
December 05, 2011 05:41PM
Hi guys,

I am new to reprap but I have used the ZCrop and Strasys machines before both SST and BST. I must say how amazing these commercial machines are designed! Now I got the chance to build my own Reprap, not yet started though still waiting for the parts to arrive, and doing some research on the host software. I am wondering, since Reprap doesnt print support materials yet, is there any software that generates breakaway structures for Reprap?

Many thanks.
Adrian
Re: Breakaway support
December 05, 2011 05:58PM
Skeinforge and its derivative SFACT can do this when they slice the .stl to make G code.
December 05, 2011 06:04PM
thanks Dale, I'll look into that. thumbs up
December 05, 2011 06:33PM
To clarify, in SFACT settings, activate the "Raft" tab, and then choose your preferred "Support Material Choice" - "Exterior Only" works well for me.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2011 06:38PM
Thanks. How strong does the supporting structure stick to the actual model? Will I end up doing a lot of post-printing work, such as sanding and filing similar to carving a sculpture?

I cant wait to build my Reprap! grinning smiley
December 05, 2011 06:52PM
My experience is that once you have "tuned" your RepRap so that it can print neatly, the Support material breaks away very easily with just your fingers / thumbnail. You might need a little bit of work with tweezers or a pocket knife to just scrape the last couple of "dags" off, but on the whole, no, you won't need to do any "machining" to achieve a finish comparable to the overall RepRap print quality.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2011 07:03PM
How well it sticks depends on the particular situation.

75% of the time the support I use breaks right off leaving nothing behind other than some discolored stress lines (which can easily be removed with a lighter/torch for 1/2 sec)

Otherwise it is usually a single thread which can be removed with an exacto knife or some sanding.

The only difficulties are when the support structure is in a deep hole.

www.Fablicator.com
December 05, 2011 07:52PM
thanks very much for your info guys. grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login