Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How long to get started with RepRap

Posted by davidgoodenough 
How long to get started with RepRap
April 10, 2008 10:13AM
My younger son is currently just completing his AS levels, doing double Maths, Physics and Design Technology. He has an interest in programming and robotics. I came across RepRap due to SlashDot and thought that this might make suitable summer project, or at least that he might be able to make enough of a start to have something that will do something useful by the end of the summer.

We have a (small) workshop, but nothing special. I have spare PCs that we could use to drive it, and I would be prepared to fund the bits he would need as this would be useful to me as I run a small local Wireless ISP to provide broadband to those bits of rural Buckinghamshire that can not get ADSL - yes in 2008 there are still some - and I assemble my own equipment and need little bits and pieces from time to time.

So the question is, if we get all the bits in advance, and I am around to help a bit, what can we reasonably expect to have completed within a couple of months?

Thanks for any thoughts.

David
Re: How long to get started with RepRap
April 10, 2008 10:27AM
The short answer is yeah, I expect so.
April 10, 2008 01:21PM
I'm only halfway the project, but through the BoM (bill of materials) it is really only an evening of reading what you need and ordering it with a few clicks. Two days later you can start soldering up all the equipment. Your son certainly seems capable to do this. With some patience I think many kids CAN do this. That's the beauty of this project I think.

Good luck with it! I think it is great that you sponsor your son's project. My father also shares a bit of the cost, although I'm going to make another RepRap for him (he lives a few hundred miles away). smiling smiley

--
Erik de Bruijn

April 10, 2008 04:25PM
Your son can definitely do this. I mean, if I can I'm sure he can. I am only sixteen.

With regards to the construction; I think that he should be able to completely solder and test all of the boards within two days if he works three to four hours a day. If you order the frame from Ian at BitsfromBytes or elsewhere, I'd expect a weeks worth of construction and fine tuning. This is all assuming that He won't have much else to do on those days, so he would be able to commit 3 to4 hours a day on the project.

However it turns out, Welcome to the Community!

Jay
April 12, 2008 12:17AM
I've put together two repraps so far. One is currently functional--I've printed three minimugs, a wine glass, two square plates, and heart for my girlfriend though it didn't come out well--and the other is waiting on an aluminum extruder to be CNCed. The two machines used different electronics--pic and arduino--and both only took a single evening to solder up and do initial testing on. As long as the BOM does you right--nothing missing--you have a good chance at being able to be up in a single month.

At that point things can get hazy. I've had problems that took me awhile to solve and that I NEEDED the forum for. Still, without money problems my machine(s) would have been finished much faster than they were.

I'd say go for it!

Demented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login