Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10mm PTFE to Wade's mount

Posted by miso 
10mm PTFE to Wade's mount
December 08, 2011 06:44AM
Hi, I am looking for a way how to mount my afghan lathe style hotend to Wade's geared extruder. I have used 10 mm PTFE rod, while hole in extruder body is made for 16 mm. Does anybody have proven solution for this problem? Thanks.
VDX
Re: 10mm PTFE to Wade's mount
December 08, 2011 06:54AM
... AFAIK the best way is an adapter-tube with screws fixing the inner PTFE-rod, so it won't be forced out while printing ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 08, 2011 08:09AM
I had a similar issue so I used a wood block spacer to capture the hot end until I could print a new cold end. I still have it on my machine actually.
December 08, 2011 04:11PM
If you have something like J.B. Weld, use that, or an epoxy putty.
December 10, 2011 07:17PM
Thanks for suggestions. Meanwhile I have found claims that PTFE threading will fail sooner (printing ABS) or later (PLA), so I am thinking about putting nut and washer on heated barrel just under PTFE rod, and use it to support axial forces via some horizontal bar there. Then I should be able to use something as simple as couple of layers of tape up on PTFE rod to keep filament holes in extruder body and PTFE rod coaxial. Is it good idea? What temperatures should I expect at point where heated barrel meets PTFE rod? Can I use some non exotic wood (for central europe) as horizontal bar/PEEK substitute? I have found somebody is using bamboo but naturally I would prefer something more common.
December 10, 2011 07:43PM
I spent hours playing with PTFE rod designs. Some of them work better than others, seems to depend on how many threads are holding it. Or adding support like your suggesting seems to help.

When I looked at flame points on different wood it all seemed a little to close for comfort. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unattended. There are other well thought out designs that are easy to make;

[reprap.org]

That may work for you.
December 13, 2011 05:08PM
My hot end has the PTFE theaded on the outside (it screws into a brass air hose coupling). This method is preferable because the PTFE expands inside the coupling, creating a tighter fit when heated.

The only caveat worth mentioning on the Wildseyed Hot End is that Z-distance calibration (home) need to be done at the intended print temperature, because the PTFE increases in length by about 1.5mm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login