Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware and software issues

Posted by deltadavies 
Firmware and software issues
December 09, 2011 12:21PM
Hi,

I have a RepRap Prusa which is all build and ready to go (am using Arduino Mega/RAMPS). I uploaded the test firmware which gives all the motors a good going over and all seemed well.

Now I've uploaded the actual firmware which controls the printer from the github location:

/firmware/FiveD_GCode/FiveD_GCode_Interpreter/FiveD_GCode_Interpreter.pde

All seemed good, uploaded with no issues. Then run the RepRap software and try the axis buttons.

+x ok. -x does not work.
+y ok. -y does not work
+z ok. -z does not work.

Also, once I hit the +y step I could heard a high pitched frequency oscilation from one of the motors (I think it was one of the top z-axis motors).

I'm at a loss as to whats happening here. If my initial board test did not work then I'd think I'd plugged something in back-to-front or something was cooked. But the fact it works on all axis, in only one direction seems very weird.

Anyone have a clue whats happening here as I'm lost.

Cheers,

Jez
Re: Firmware and software issues
December 09, 2011 12:36PM
One point - i've not wired up the end stops yet. Planned on doing so once I'd checked the axis all worked. Is there a reliance in the code to have the end stops in place? Just a guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 12:37PM by deltadavies.
December 09, 2011 02:30PM
I have used a modified version of 5D before on my gen3 though I cant remember if there is any dependency on having the endstops attached before the axis will move in the negative direction to prevent crashes from homing. The fact that is moved only in the + direction would probably mean theres something set in place for the endstops.

since you have RAMPS I would probably suggest using either sprinter of marlin. Both of which Ive used and are simple to configure to your RAMPS without much effort
December 09, 2011 02:32PM
It depends on the type of endstop your using optical(inverting or non inverting output), or manual switches.

In most cases if your firmware is all setup for end stops.....Yes, you need your end stops hooked up. Basically the axis won't move in the -ve direction because it thinks your end stops are triggered (axis@ 0)

If you are using manual endstops make sure the "internal pull up resistors are enabled"

Dsmiling smiley
December 10, 2011 03:38AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm away this weekend but will have a go with this on Monday and let you know.

Am using manual end stops - where do I find the "internal pull up resistors enabled" flag?

@EcSuyu - What is sprinter or marlin?

Cheers

jez smiling smiley
December 10, 2011 04:55AM
you would find that in configuration.h

from what you described with high pitch motor noise, your steps are way to fast. have you also adjusted steps ratio for your printer?
and are your pins matching the same pin out as described for your board. pins.h
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login