Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skeinforge on Mac!

Posted by indieflow 
Skeinforge on Mac!
January 05, 2012 06:25AM
Hi, I'm just nearing the completion of my Prusa build and just starting the setting up of my MacBook Pro for control.

Anyway I'm stumped at stage one! angry smiley

Whilst following the installation instructions here it suggests installing Psycho after Python! When I attempt to install Psycho through Terminal, it exists after being unable to locate GCC 4.2. Now I've searched the internet with only a few references being found, which point to the fact that Xcode no longer includes GCC 4.2!

Has anyone out there found a way of running this on a Mac?

I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.7.2 with Python 2.7.2 and Xcode 4.2.1 installed

Any help would be greatful!

[indieflows.blogspot.com]
[www.emakershop.com]
Re: Skeinforge on Mac!
January 05, 2012 07:06AM
Use slic3r instead. It's easier to install and use and it's faster.
January 05, 2012 07:11AM
brnrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use slic3r instead. It's easier to install and use
> and it's faster.

Thanks, not the first to mention this, so I guess I should take the hint lol thumbs up

[www.emakershop.com]
January 05, 2012 07:27AM
1) Have a look at macports
[www.macports.org]
sort of apt-get for mac. makes the installation and updates of unix ports & dependencies a breeze. I have skeinforge running ok on 10.6.8

2) Take the time to hand-craft a fine skeinforge configuration. Takes time, learning and many iterations, but well worth it. Slic3r is, imho, not yet there in terms of options and maturity.
January 05, 2012 08:24AM
I think slic3r is already here. This was printed by Andrew Diehl using slic3r and posted in the slic3r forum. There are more examples in the reprap forum.

January 05, 2012 10:15AM
Well slic3r definetly sounds the way ahead! Though I think I would still like the option to use both, so thanks for the link Lanthan! I'll check it out, though standby for more posts! lol spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.emakershop.com]
January 05, 2012 12:16PM
Lanthan Wrote:
> Slic3r is, imho,
> not yet there in terms of options and maturity.

You can't possibly have tried the latest versions then. winking smiley Not saying slic3r is perfect, but it is now a fully featured good alternative to skeinforge, as long as you have relative tight control over the quality of your stl files.

Sure, it takes a day of tweaking to get up to skeinforge quality, and a week of use to get to know the program. At first you feel limited in terms of options, until you realize the only thing you really tweak is speed and layer setup, as the volumetric calculations are spot on, if your calibration is spot on. More options != quality, imho.

Not to forget arc support, that's brilliant!

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
January 05, 2012 03:17PM
Nudel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lanthan Wrote:
> > Slic3r is, imho,
> > not yet there in terms of options and maturity.
>
> You can't possibly have tried the latest versions
> then. winking smiley

just "the version just before the last", and I don't like the way it silently ate thin walls (I know, it wasn't a bug but an unimplemented feature). Is it doing thin walls now?

>Not saying slic3r is perfect, but it is
> now a fully featured good alternative to
> skeinforge, as long as you have relative tight
> control over the quality of your stl files.

good for all!
I have other reasons to want to want to keep learning and perfecting the use of skeinforge: I intend to use it for milling molds (yes I know, very few people using it for that, there are other softs etc. etc. but none really free as in speech and beer, so SF might come handy )

> Sure, it takes a day of tweaking to get up to
> skeinforge quality, and a week of use to get to
> know the program.

That's the day and the week I currently do not have (but well, seems I saved some by skipping SFACT)

> At first you feel limited in
> terms of options, until you realize the only thing
> you really tweak is speed and layer setup, as the
> volumetric calculations are spot on, if your
> calibration is spot on. More options != quality,
> imho.

I want my comb and cool filters, skeinlayer and stats
and fine control on what goes on the first layer, and... winking smiley

>
> Not to forget arc support, that's brilliant!

that's great, and goes perfectly with Marlin!
So many enjoyable developments right now...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login