Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing ugly corners

Posted by ahbtsang 
Printing ugly corners
January 09, 2012 05:39PM
Hi.. just upgraded to Marlin firmware and using SFACT with a heated bed.. Im getting some poor results and kinda stuck on how to get it to work..

Before I was using Sprinter and Skeinforge with the transparency film bed, I managed to get some decent quality print, but now even printing the 0.5mm wall or the 20mm box, I'm getting poor results.

Please have a look at the pic.

i am printing PLA and set the perimeter speed to 25mm/sec at 175C, the box on the left was printed at 0.4mm thickness and the one on the right was at 0.25mm. as you can see the corners started very square at the bottom and as it went up the corners started to become rounded and were sticking up for about 1mm!

I wondered if the PLA was too hot, and now i got it to 175C but still getting the same result.. Also I tried changing the feed and flow rate but couldnt see much improvement..

Can somebody tell me where I should be looking at to solve this problem?

Many thanks.
Adrian
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-01-09 22.19.01.jpg (148.2 KB)
Re: Printing ugly corners
January 09, 2012 09:22PM
You should start using Slic3r smiling smiley

www.slic3r.org
January 09, 2012 09:24PM
i know.. it's so much easier.. but does slic3r has support material functions? coz thats what I really like from skeinforge.. otherwise its too much setting sad smiley
January 09, 2012 09:28PM
also i think there are many situations especially with architectural buildings that slic3r doesnt slice properly...
January 10, 2012 03:51AM
in sfact setting select tab for speed settings reduce your perimeter flow rate by 10% this will reduce the goo of the lines.

finish adjusting flow rate until it looks better.

sfact has a skin feature that is scripted in to its skein, even when disabled in skienforge. your flow rate needs to basically be perfect, or a little lower to work properly with half height skin feature . at normal height close does ok, but at half height of skin feature on perimeter it gets too wide. this is probably why your settings seemed to work before.

to clean up of the perimeter layer, have it so z moves only happen inside of part.
Go into fill section of skienforge and try perimeter settings in the middle such as infill-.perimeter-loops. you cant get rid of all the defects but you can make them not appear on the outside of part. if enabling this does not work for you then change settings back.

the skin script also does not have speed limitations on z axis, or if it does it does not always work properly, so the max speed in firmware should be set to your homing speed. this is also why some people have issues with irregular height.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 03:52AM by jamesdanielv.
January 10, 2012 07:19AM
thanks very much, I'll give that a try. grinning smiley
January 10, 2012 11:07AM
i managed to get the 0.5mm wall print to fairly good quality with only just 4mm/sec perimeter speed.. is this normal or too slow??
January 10, 2012 11:10AM
I print at 32mm/s, perimeters at 16mm/s.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 10, 2012 11:45AM
rob,

and you still good corners and layers at that speed printing the 0.5mm wall??

Will that be anything to do with the heated bed making the PLA too soft?
January 10, 2012 05:02PM
No, as long as you don't have the temperature set too high.
For PLA 60°C is about perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 05:02PM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 10, 2012 08:50PM
You need to recalibrate the e-steps in your firmware. Look up Prusa Jr's Calculator. Sorry I don;t recall where it is.
January 10, 2012 09:49PM
i thought I've already set the e steps accurately... maybe I'll do it again then.. but slowing down the Z and flow rate does solve most of the problem...

BTW... I'm able to find the number of LOOPS in SFACT?? All I'm getting is just the perimeter and infill.. where can I find the setting for it?
January 11, 2012 10:47AM
I think you are looking for this..

sfact settings->infill->what order to print.
January 11, 2012 11:22AM
james:

I could find the print order.. but for some reason my prints seem to have missing loops...

I'm just getting 1 layer of perimeter, then the infill.
January 11, 2012 04:49PM
Also, if you're not using Marlin firmware, that will make your corners look much nicer too. Sprinter has bad blobbing problems.
January 12, 2012 03:02PM
I thought Marlin produces much better quality prints than Sprinter?!

Also.. apart from Skeinforge has the function to produce support material, any other slicer can do that?? I really need support material because I want to print architectural models and there are many overhangs...
January 12, 2012 05:55PM
Will there be anything to do with the acceleration in Marlin that can improve the corner quality??
January 14, 2012 01:34PM
ahbtsang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will there be anything to do with the acceleration
> in Marlin that can improve the corner quality??

Marlin has an extruder advance feature which helps a LOT when printing corners at high speed. There's some delay from extruder stepper motor rotating to the plastic actually coming out and the advance tries to compensate this. Here's an example of 40x40x5 block printed at 150mm/s:

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login