Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

definition of RepRap (request from a copy editor)

Posted by judy arginteanu 
definition of RepRap (request from a copy editor)
January 12, 2012 11:24AM
Hi. I'm a copy editor for a national magazine, and we're mentioning RepRap briefly in an upcoming article. Here's how we're talking about it:

"rapid prototyping systems like RepRap, in which used plastic objects are broken down and used to produce new, useful things."

This seems to more or less jibe with what I saw on the RepRap wiki, but unfortunately not being particularly tech- or practical-minded (to my chagrin), I thought I'd doublecheck with people who know.

If anyone can confirm or correct this general description at their earliest convenience, I'd be much obliged.

BTW, the whole things sounds unbelievably cool.

Best,
Judy Arginteanu
Re: definition of RepRap (request from a copy editor)
January 12, 2012 12:40PM
Hi Judy,

Its a little wordy and not sure its exactly what you want, but this is how we describe it on our RepRap Central website

RepRap stands for Replicating Rapid Prototyper. The RepRap project was created in 2005 by Dr Adrian Bowyer, a senior lecturer in mechanical engineering at the University of Bath, United Kingdom. The goal of the project is to create a pure self-replicating device, in this case a 3D Printer, that will become ever more useful and so ensure its own evolution and distribution.

A RepRap Printer can print a percentage of its component parts. As important in many ways, is its ability to create useful products from digital designs. You can design and print products using a standard PC and a 3D Printer. You can even download product designs from the Internet and kickstart your own manufacturing revolution. This 'Portable Factory' concept will change the lives of many and the introduction of low cost DIY 3D Printers will herald in a new era of personal manufacturing.

Regards
RepRapCentral.com
January 12, 2012 01:06PM
Recycling old plastic things and making them into new, useful things is a goal that has not yet been met by the vast majority of repraps. It is one of the ultimate goals, but will likely never be as simple as "drop in old plastic and out comes a toy train."
January 12, 2012 01:34PM
I agree with Buback, we're not there on recycling yet, so you might want something more like

rapid prototyping systems like RepRap, in which plastic filament (similar to weed wacker line) is used to produce new, useful things.

That description really applies to commercial $20,000.00 systems as well though, so if you want something in there that is reprap specific you could mention that the design is open source so anyone can build it, and it makes many of its own parts. Those two things are big reasons the reprap project is generating so much enthusiasm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 01:39PM by bryanandaimee.
January 13, 2012 08:56AM
Have you seen the Filabot Kickstarter project?

[www.kickstarter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login