Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End stops

Posted by NelsonRap 
End stops
January 21, 2012 03:12AM
What end stops are you all using, can someone point me to a link as I want to move away from optical stops as they are a pain to make up.

Thanks

January 21, 2012 06:29AM
Microswitches from eBay, without levers (supposed to be more precise). Cannot find the exact ones I bought, but much like those:

[www.ebay.com]

You have the choice to connect them in activated-on or activated-off configurations. Activated-off is said to provide better protection against noisy lines.

I have found no inconvenients when comparing to opto-endstops.
Re: End stops
January 21, 2012 07:43AM
[www.radioshack.com]

SPDT Switch Without Roller,

the leaf lever can be removed and the contact alone can be used. some people seem to think that the lever arm should be removed. these can be mounted. i drill holes with 1/8 inch drill bit so i can fit standard size screws or bolts thru to hold them in place.

another way to hold them in place is with wire or plumbing staples. remove the nail, place the staple over the rod,and screw thru the limit switch, this also makes limit switch adjustable.

here is a picture and link of staple at homedepot.
[www.homedepot.com]

also use internal pull up resistors, or external 10k resistor. best method is gnd when open, and high when closed or pressed. it eliminates noise issue, as all it takes is 1 spike. no filtering is built into sprinter firmware for debounce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 07:47AM by jamesdanielv.
January 21, 2012 05:40PM
These are what I am using [www.ebay.com]

misan
January 22, 2012 12:27AM
Looking for a supply here in NZ and want quick delivery which these guy do, they have a 2 day turn around for me so was wondering if something like this will be good Here as I'm new to mechanical stops

January 22, 2012 02:20PM
Anyone care to check the link I posted and see if they will work for me?

Thanks

January 22, 2012 02:22PM
They look good but pricey ;-)

I glue them with hot glue to the end-stop bracket.

misan
January 22, 2012 02:25PM
Prices are on the high side here when buying locally, but I can get them in 2 days which is a big plus for me

January 22, 2012 07:23PM
funny i have had very few issues with opto endstops, i like them and they can always be used on another project.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 07:48PM
My colleague who does the electronic assembly doesn't like assembling them so I thought I would change

January 22, 2012 08:04PM
good point, its like trying to get a electrician to wire his own basement. you do it all day so when you come home ya just don't want to do it any more

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 09:57PM
Is there a wiring diagram around for the mechanical stops?

January 22, 2012 11:14PM
yes those will work.

i always solder the connection that goes to arduino in the middle ,just in case i had a beer or something, and get the open vs closed push button side of the backwards. the other pin goes to gnd. fastest way to know witch side. trial and error. run mendel with firmware and enable axis endstops, and move axis to middle go 10mm motion in direction of end stop,push endstop in with hand, if the axis no longer moves, and moves again after switch is released and axis move command is given then setup is correct.

if axis moves in dir of end stop when pressed and not when released, then wire gnd to the other end of switch.
if motion does not disable, or does not move when either switch is pressed or released then you need to invert pullup settings in firmware

be sure to set pullup resistors option in configuration.h in sprinter
January 23, 2012 11:39AM
Mechanical switch endstops attached with hot glue. Pro tip: don't use cyanoacrylate superglue! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 23, 2012 01:34PM
I use Optos too. The only problem I get with them is in the morning, when the sun comes in through the window, and when I am printing out doors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login