Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

buildatron

Posted by dissidence 
buildatron
January 30, 2012 06:18PM
any one ever see these guys before, http://buildatron.com/ i found them from this article in pcmag http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399530,00.asp but in it there is no mention of it being a reprap at all, i emailed the writer to ask him about that,

i have never seen them before, but on there site they do list it is a reprap in there FAQ but that was the only place i saw it.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: buildatron
January 30, 2012 06:54PM
Looks like a Prusa in a clever shaped case.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2012 06:56PM
i almost jumped when i saw how much they wanted, i just thought it was a little off not seeing it mention in the article at all.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2012 07:11PM
1.5KUSD for the unassembled kit, how clever!

"The Buildatron 2 3D Replicator case is an engineering breakthrough that puts our enclosure design in a class of its own"
January 30, 2012 08:04PM
Hey Guys, Yeah we finally rolling out our production model, we just released our beta version with the PC Mag articles!

nophead, you are right, it is a Prusa variant, and we really set off in that direction after speaking with Josef. We made it our goal to add consistency and quality to a product line of machines.

On top of that, we worked on the software and documentation side of our machine as well, so educational institutions and DIYer's can expect reliable and consistent results. Right now we are printing at 75 micron layer res with just a few drop down setting clicks!

dissidence, They did an article before where they talked more about the machine itself, but this article was purely about the assembly, so that is why it wasn't mentioned. (although it is very obvious it is RepRap inspired since you see every step)

On our about page and our website we mention RepRap and our history. We bring up RepRap in a lot of places, and we talk about the impact RepRap has had on our business, but we have created a package that is not a standard RepRap so, on our end we have effectively made the Buildatron variant of the Prusa RepRap.

It's great to hear your comments, and if we had it our way, everyone would have a RepRap printer. If anyone has any ideas or projects they want us to try and feel free to contact us. In the meanwhile, we are making our life and passion about Buildatron 3D Printing and putting a spot light on RepRaps in the process!

Thanks RepRap

Zach Hines
Buildatron
January 30, 2012 08:24PM
i am glad to see that you are working on documentation, i have not looked for it but have you made it available to the reprap community.?

i do think your prices seem a little steep, but at the same time i cant say if you have a better quality product first hand.

trust me i am not so certain that reprap is for everyone just yet, we are getting better but we are not there yet.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2012 08:32PM
Yeah, I hear that on the RepRap for everyone comment, which is why we started Buildatron... with that said, imagine how fast we would be developing new version and improvements if everyone had one!

on prices... prices are prices, we are actually working on that, but we are staying competitive with Makerbot and cubify.

We do have plans on releasing a lower cost solution in the not too distant future, one that makes it irresistible, but we first set out to make a reliable consistent machine, so that we did it right. We will take a hard look at the wall and see what can be done to enter at the lowest price point while keeping the quality we stand for.
January 30, 2012 08:40PM
i hope you guys do great, and i also hope you don't end up getting more than you bargend for with orders, seems like thats a common thing.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2012 09:01PM
Good luck, your product looks good. I sell Prusa kits in NZ and so know how hard it is to get started. I refuse to take orders until I have the stock, as I don't want to end up like the business in Europe

Click here to login