Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

save all your scrap plastic

Posted by johnnyb 
save all your scrap plastic
February 07, 2012 07:14PM
dont toss it .... we have somthing we are working on.... thats all im gunna say for now
Re: save all your scrap plastic
February 07, 2012 08:39PM
if anyone could recycle it it would be anyone who could make the stuff, though i do not envy anyone who tries to sort out the colors. just offer it at a cheaper price if you send some back.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 07, 2012 08:52PM
it has nothing to do with making it back into filament or sending it off
February 07, 2012 09:07PM
PLA sandwich anyone? grinning smiley

February 07, 2012 11:21PM
I think this has been tried before with repraps, with less than satisfactory results.

recombining regrind into plastic is not new - injection molders do it all the time. But there is an associated decrease in the quality of the plastic, which apparently repraps are more sensitive to than injection molders.

If you've figured out how to match virgin plastic quality with regrind mixed in you stand to make a LOT of money from injection molders smiling smiley
February 08, 2012 07:47AM
Mmm I have a feeling that this is linked with johnnyb ability to produce aluminium parts smiling smiley

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
February 08, 2012 07:58AM
Speaking of which, don't cast aluminium parts need machining? Even die cast parts are usually machined on the faces where accuracy matters and they are notorious for warping.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 08, 2012 10:13AM
crispy
we are not talking about turning scrap back into filament. but it can be used when mixed with virgin pellets.

DeuxVis
yes it is linked with us making aluminum parts.
we where manufacturing 288 diffrent parts before the company we produced parts for moved everything over seas and stiffed us for the last 3 months of orders. i lost my home , but i was able to pay the workers on time. its been 2 yrs and they all want to come back to work for me when i can get going again . with the exception of one who moved to az.
the more items we can manufacture the more work i can provide for them. i dont want to be at the mercy of 1 company again... id rather sell to smaller companys and direct to the public.

nophead
yes sometimes casted parts need machining. but not always, and not the parts for the parts i want to make for the 3d printers ( even if they did we could still produce them at an affordable price
we use inserts when there is a threaded hole or a hole that is not 90deg to the 2 faces of the dies

please see pics below of castings we made for antique gumball machines . i used them to show new workers how to spot problems and how to correct them.
February 08, 2012 10:22AM
My day job is designing fixtures for machining die cast aluminum. Die cast aluminum accuracy can be comparable to or better than FFF plastic, especially when compared to the simple bracketry used to build RepRaps). Warping is a lot less than I've seen come off my printer in ABS, but that may have to do with careful cast part design. Some parts do go through thermal stress relief, but that's only for parts that will change shape when machined. One part I have in mind seemed almost designed to maximize warping. On that part, they were chasing a flatness of about 0.05 over about 450mm.

I'm curious what this might have to do with saving scrap plastic though.
February 08, 2012 10:34AM
pic 1
mold was to cold . firts gear teeth didnt fully form . second gear , center hole is blocked

pic 2 see detail center goes from round to square back to round

pic 3 and 4 the center hole not only has a flat part in it its also tapered ...smaller on one side then the other.

pic 5 to much flashing .

pic 6 for got to put in the insert in so the hole would be threaded . the aluminum filled the space where the insert was void( it formed the thum screw that was not put in
Attachments:
open | download - castings 001.JPG (79.8 KB)
open | download - castings 003.JPG (83.3 KB)
open | download - castings 006.JPG (58.3 KB)
open | download - castings 007.JPG (59 KB)
open | download - castings 008.JPG (82.2 KB)
open | download - castings 009.JPG (54.4 KB)
February 09, 2012 10:42PM
Sounds like an invitation to hoard winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login