Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

why do you all love ramps?

Posted by glrra19 
why do you all love ramps?
March 06, 2012 03:13PM
i have a makergear prusa ramps 1.4
i still cannot see this board on my computer.
this is the 3rd time ive asked for help on here.

im probably going to sell it and buy another gen6
because i have success with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 03:17PM by glrra19.
Re: why do you all love ramps?
March 06, 2012 03:19PM
it's pretty hard to help when all you've said is basically "it doesn't work on my computer". what operating system? do other arduino's show up (as a com port) in the arduino ide? if you use windows, did you install the arduino mega drivers windows requires?

with details come useful answers.
March 06, 2012 03:55PM
srry, win xp
and ive tried arduino 1.0 and the older version i use on my other printer.
March 06, 2012 04:04PM
Did you install the drivers that come with arduino IDE?

Does your computer makes the usual USB plug-in sound when you plug-in the Arduino Mega?

Until your computer does not "see" the card it is impossible for any software to talk to it.

Please note that Arduino Mega 2560 uses a different chip for USB interface than Sanguinololu or Gen6. If your Gen6 works in the same computer it means the right driver is installed for it. You just need to add the right driver for the Mega to get a similar result (you can find it in the drivers folder of the arduino package).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 04:12PM by misan.
March 06, 2012 04:22PM
also what version of the mega do you have i had to reflash the usb chip on the first 2560 i got, second one showed no issues what so ever.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 06, 2012 04:24PM
If you are having problems with RAMPS, here is the troubleshooting path to take:

1. Use Arduino, pre 1.0, like 0.23 or 0.22

2. Unplug RAMPS from the Arduino MEGA, and Unplug Pololu Drivers from RAMPS. Unplug the 12 VDC power from the RAMPS, and all other external connections (HBP, Thermistors, Steppers, etc).

3. If you have an Arduino MEGA 1280 (The older model), install the FTDI drivers found in the Arduino Install directory. If you have an Arduino MEGA 2650, install the Arduino MEGA 2560.inf driver.

4. Plug the Arduino into the PC, and make sure that it correctly detects the Arduino as a Serial COM Port. If it does not, chances are you have a bad Arduino MEGA. Replace it.

5. If the Arduino MEGA is correctly detected, open Arduino IDE, and configure for the right model (1280 or 2650), and Serial Port.

6. Have a copy of the firmware you intend to use handy, and try uploading it to the Arduino MEGA, making sure to select 33 as the board type in Configuration.h

7. If the firmware loads successfully, plug the RAMPS board into the Arduino MEGA. If you hear the USB hardware disconnect sound in Windows when connecting the RAMPS, you have a short on the RAMPS board. If you bought it already assembled, ask for a replacement. If you assembled it yourself, fix it, or buy a new one, preferably already assembled smiling smiley

8. If the Serial Port still shows up after connecting the RAMPS onto the Arduino MEGA, Connect one (1) single Pololu into one of the five sockets, and connect a corresponding stepper motor. If you hear the USB hardware disconnect sound in Windows when connecting the Pololu, you have a short on the Pololu carrier board. It may be fried if you had a short on the RAMPS as well, which is why I recommend testing the RAMPS first, before plugging in a pololu.

9. Assuming nothing disconnects, try the same pololu in each of the sockets, just to make sure.

10. Now comes the moment of truth. With the power supply off (not the USB power, but the 12 DC Power Supply), plug the 12VDC into the ramps, and connect a single Pololu and motor into one of the sockets, and turn on the power. If nothing disconnects (Windows Hardware Removal sound), try connecting with Pronterface, or RepSnapper, and running the motor.

11. Power off the PSU, and install the next Pololu and stepper, and repeat.

12. By the time you reach this step, you should at least be able to move all axes motors in both directions, but only if you have disable hardware endstops in your firmware Configuration.h file. If the axes only move in one direction, it is because this has not been done.

13. If an Axis moves opposite the direction intended, power down the PSU, and flip the connector to the stepper where it connects to the four (4) pin header on RAMPS. Alternative to this is to make the change in firmware.

14. Plug in Thermistors, Hot ends, HBP, Limit Switches, etc, one at a time. If you encounter problems at any point, look for shorts. Hardware limit switches (using only two wires) can sometimes be the culprit, if you plug into the wrong two header pins. It should be the innermost two pins, leaving the third pin position open.

Best of luck!

-Wildseyed-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 04:28PM by jcabrer.
March 06, 2012 04:48PM
so im in winrar, then i find 2560inf file,
then i click on it,
then i get some text...
when i plug in the mega2560 i hear 3 short dings
March 06, 2012 04:54PM
it has a cool red light tho
Attachments:
open | download - HPIM0816.jpg (585.2 KB)
March 06, 2012 05:01PM
Usually you have to right-click on .inf files and then chose install. However, the three dings sound like you already have the driver installed.

Next you can try to upload Blink example to see if you get blinking LED on your Mega. If so, you are ready to upload the firmware of your choice (Sprinter may be a good start).
March 06, 2012 07:58PM
You have to extract the contents. I don't think you can simply install driver inf files from inside of an archive.

You also need to follow the directions closely and make sure to verify that the device shows up as a serial port. Simply relying on the sound is not enough, if you don't know which sound you are hearing.

Right click My Computer on the desktop, or in the start menu, and select properties. Then select device manager, and look under PORTS.
March 06, 2012 10:20PM
i just went to the device manager i can see mega2560 there it says i have to reinstall the driver
but i go to anything arduion and nothing works.
when it says reinstall driver what should i do?
March 06, 2012 10:27PM
Extract all of the contents of the winrar archive. Then in Device Manager, right click the Mega and select Update Driver Software from the menu. Then click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software." In the next screen, point it to where your INF file resides, and it should install the driver.
March 06, 2012 10:27PM
you have to point it to the folder that the drivers are in, and it should find it in there, its been a little too long since i have had to do that on a xp box.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 06, 2012 10:36PM
i cant get it to go from my downloads to my device manager
March 06, 2012 10:39PM
get back into the device manager and click on reinstall driver, then it should have a option for a folder, you have to take it to the folder that you uncompressed the files into and look for drivers

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 06, 2012 10:52PM
ya i can look at all the files, but it wont let me click the "ok" button.
nevermind
its forsale
im gonna buy another gen6
March 06, 2012 11:02PM
i know your close, just try a few more things, its been too long for me to remember off the top of my head

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 06, 2012 11:32PM
doesn't matter now, now im made to look like im trying to rip ppl off
in the for sale section.
March 07, 2012 05:01AM
Except you failed at manually installing a device driver in XP. you may have the exact same problem with any other electronics.
you really should learn how to do this.
in my day we had to install all drivers this way
we also walked to school
barefoot
uphill
both ways
in the snow

Edit:
I can show you how to do this if you like
the easiest way would be to use teamviewer, but that would require you to trust someone on the internet that you don't know.
something I advise against.
Though... I think you can get team viewer to only allow the other guy to only view your screen.
yeah you can...
if you want I'm often in the reprap IRC channel though not always watching the screen.
if you can follow directions, the offer of help is there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 05:13AM by se5a.
March 07, 2012 06:58AM
Gllra, John here from seemecnc. Its on a laptop im assuming, so grab your stuff and come on over to our shop and Ill show you how. Or, our makerspace meetings are thursdays at 5:30 at the electric brew in goshen. No worries, I struggled a bit with it too.
March 07, 2012 08:25AM
Why does everyone love RAMPS? Because it's the most reliable solution. Simple board, simple soldering job (on v1.3 at least). The power side of it has been sensibly implemented, splitting supply of heated bed and extruder heater from the rest; the fuses are worth it alone, saves a lot of hassle with over-current heated beds, something Sanguinololu and Gen7 don't have. 5V doesn't share 12V line, so temperature reporting and Arduino is unaffected by Mosfet switching. Modular design, so parts that fail can be replaced and/or updated (unlike Gen6). Mature design, so all firmwares support it. 16x microstepping (unlike Gen6, which uses a TI stepper driver). Ability to drive 2 extruders (v1.3 and v1.4). Now that clone Mega 1280/2560 are available cheaply, it is equivalent in cost to other electronics. The main problem appears to be availability, cost of the pololus (as with Gen7 and Sanguinololu), and that Sanguinololu is touted as the ideal, though I think it has its issues.

If you are having problems uploading to your Arduino Mega (you haven't even stated what version you have, though it seems a 2560, and you seem unable to install a driver for it), you need to get support for that. But you can't blame the RAMPS board; you haven't even used it!
March 07, 2012 09:58AM

ya i can look at all the files, but it wont let me click the "ok" button.

That usually means you are not in the directory where the inf file is.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login