Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

heated bed needed?

Posted by sophivangogh 
heated bed needed?
March 07, 2012 09:43AM
Hi everyone!! well, I'm from Bolivia and I want to build a Prusa Mendel. I already have somethings in mind to order but it's too expensive!!! so I was wondering if heated bed is really really really necessary..
I also want to know whats the difference between smooth and threaded rods because both of them (metric) are 8mm diameter right?
Thanks!!
VDX
Re: heated bed needed?
March 07, 2012 10:22AM
... you need a heated bed for printing bigger parts from ABS ... either it won't stick to the base or the edges will warp upwards when cooling down.

The smooth rod is solid, the threaded rod has a thread cutted on the 8mm-rod, so the solid core is thinner and the stability lower ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 07, 2012 10:24AM
if you're only doing PLA you can get away with not having a heated bed.
but you'll have to limit the size of anything you print or it'll warp.

the difference between threaded rod and smooth rod is that threaded rod is threaded and smooth is smooth.
you cant run bearings along threaded rod, and you can't screw nuts on smooth rod.
March 07, 2012 10:25AM
The heated bed reduces warping, you can print without one but objects will warp as they cool, particularly if you print in ABS. Many people do print in PLA without a heated bed, the recommended surface is blue painters tape.[reprap.org]

Threaded rod is used to build the frame and as leadscrews in the Z axis. Smooth rod is used as to guide the axes, bearings or bushings run along these so threaded rod cannot be substituted.
March 07, 2012 05:29PM
thxs a lot! And for the electronics I'm getting RAMPS 1.4, but I'm getting a little confused with terms like gen6 or arduino or mega...so I'm getting this

[www.ebay.com]

(should I have some problems with it or not?do I need anything else for the electronics?) also I've been reading and some people say that ABS is easier than PLA, so??? is that true? 'cause then I would need the heated bed right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 05:34PM by sophivangogh.
March 07, 2012 05:43PM
You will need an arduino mega as well, since the RAMPS board plugs into the arduino.
you'll also need some pololu steeper drivers to plug into the ramps
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login