Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wades small gear print help.

Posted by RepRapRaj83 
Wades small gear print help.
March 11, 2012 10:35AM
Hi,

I hope all are well,

After changing over host software and slicing software, i have been getting improved print quality on on most things i've printed - apart from one object confused smiley.

I have been trying to print a small wades gear using Slic3r and the inner 5mm perimeter for the stepper motor does not stick very well at all. I have printed pulleys and drive wheels sucessfully and this seems to be the only one which is causing problems.

The perimeter sticks well to the 'base' of the pulley which holds the captive nut but once it reaches the layer where gear teeth are being printed, it begins to go wrong. The print itself is decent with no problems with blobbing on teeth/irregular shaped gear teeth, the only problem is the gap left where the perimeter should stick to the main body of the print.

I have attached a picture to show this, it's out of focus but you can see the gap.

This print has been repaired (twice) in netfabb so I don't think it could be due to a corrupted file.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Raj
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-03-11_14.20.24.jpg (432 KB)
Re: Wades small gear print help.
March 11, 2012 12:18PM
Have you tried the cool options of the last version of Slic3r?

Sometimes it can help with small objects that need each layer to cool enough before accepting the next one to maintain the true shape.
March 12, 2012 08:03PM
Print four at a time. You may have to do a little cleanup, but it will allow sufficient cooling, passively.
March 12, 2012 08:12PM
Since the photo is out of focus, it's kind of hard to see what's going on. A small gap at the base of the teeth shouldn't be a problem, but if they are large, or if it doesn't do infill at all the gear won't hold up very long.

I suggest you try using only one perimeter to force more fill, and get stronger teeth.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
March 13, 2012 01:20AM
I think jcabrer solution is just about the best option.

Objects with small perimeters, pulleys and small gears are notorious for this, should have about 4 printed each time. This cuts down the time that the print nozzle will stay on one part. Or you could really get down on your cool settings if you don't want to waste plastic.

bdc
~Stay Calm Out There
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login