Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

serial error

Posted by mupwi 
serial error
March 11, 2012 12:58PM
Hi I am getting the following error quite often and then my printer stops dead any idea what would cause it?

linenr is not the last linenr+1
Re: serial error
March 11, 2012 06:41PM
your serial data is corrupted. reduce serial speed, change power supply or laptop used. either data is too much for laptop to handle at that baud speed, laptop or power supply is too noisy. let us know firmware version, chip set uses, mega,328,644.. and also post your configuration.h file. someone here will help.
March 12, 2012 05:02AM
tried on another pc didn't make a difference. I am running the techzone monolithic board I think there is only one firmware for it. how low can I go on the speed would 9600 be ok? it is currently set to 19200 will change it and test it when I get home from work
March 12, 2012 08:02PM
I've seen this on Windows 7 64-Bit. Have never bothered to find out why though...
March 14, 2012 03:51AM
I have had that error on my Gen6 board. I think it is caused by noise because I no longer have it since I have moved my wires. Try to keep stepper wires away from endstops/power/USB wires. Do a twisted pair on your stepper wires.

My printer resets, rehomes and moves back to center when this happens...which obviously causes collisions with what was already printed on the bed.

The other reason I think it is noise related is that I could print an object one night successfully and have it fail the next day when I tried to print it from the same gcode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
March 14, 2012 04:33PM
If you can afford the distraction from printing, try installing the Repetier firmware and host, and see if the problem persists. The author of that set of packages claims better serial performance, and less prone to errors. Note that there is a file in the firmware directory tree that needs to be copied into the Arduino IDE to improve the native serial performance. It just replaces the use of Modulo with something faster. I think AND.

I'm in the process of trying it out, but don't currently have communication issues that I can repeat.
March 16, 2012 09:34AM
I droped the baud rate to 9600 no real difrence still get linenr is not the last linenr+1 on like every second line of gcode until it just stops dead at about line 19tried without the laptop power supply conected and going to try this weekend powering the printer off a deep cycle batery to eliminate any posable noise from that supply also going to try printing from my brothers linux machine to see if it isnt a windows serial isue
March 19, 2012 07:07AM
well turns out there wasn't really a problem with the printer. after much fighting with moving cables different firmware installing toroid's running of battery's different pc's. I decided to call in reinforcements and took it over to my brothers house we plugged it into his linux box loaded the repsnapper and wala printing so it seems to be a windows issue ARRRG.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login