Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lego Repstrap(ish)

Posted by owbridmark 
Lego Repstrap(ish)
March 18, 2012 04:31AM
Although this repstrap was not technically designed to reproduce it's own parts, i feel the potential is there.

[markowbridge.carbonmade.com]

Me and a group of classmates had a project to build a rapid prototyper and this was the solution we came up with. Was a very interesting project and I feel the use of gelatine could have potential use in a reprap.

Any questions please feel free. I will have to post the names of all students involved to provide the appropriate credit as it really was an awesome team to b working with.
Re: Lego Repstrap(ish)
March 18, 2012 02:47PM
That was fascinating, thanks for sharing! How did you come up with the idea of using Legos?
March 18, 2012 04:31PM
that's an interesting project, I love the visual effect of the bubbles smiling smiley

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
March 19, 2012 04:19AM
Thanks guys,

Its always good to have positive feedback. I can not take all the credit though. I will have to get all the names of the people involved and post it here!

Lego blocks are very precise parts due to the manufacturing process involved and so we thought we could utilise this. The technic blocks are also very versatile. The top axis where the build platform is was exceptionally smooth and would recommend building a lego repstrap this way if possible. The z axis was rather poor.

Thanks, we had a great photographer on the team (jamie mayne) who helped document the entire process of building the machine. The gelatine material actually turned out to be very strong. One advantage/disadvantage of this material is it can be used to build a solid form and then can be disolved via hot water so could potentially make a really good support material for all repraps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login