Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

time lapssmileys with beer

Posted by dissidence 
time lapssmileys with beer
April 06, 2012 10:05PM
i was wondering what time laps settings people use out there works best for them.

i would like to take some time laps videos of my prints but, i am not sure what the best settings would be.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: time lapssmileys with beer
April 07, 2012 03:38AM
What sort of setup are you using for the videoing?
April 07, 2012 03:40AM
just a app on my android, is all i was thinking about using

i was more or less thinking about interval times

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 07, 2012 04:30AM
Without having actually done animation /stop frame photography on my Reprap, there are some basic calculations:

How long do you want the video playback to last - e.g 1 minute
What playback frame rate does your app use - e.g. 30 fps
this means you would need 60 * 30 = 1,800 frames

How long does the print take that you want to film - e.g. one hour = 3600 seconds,

so to get 1800 frames, you would capture 1 frame per 2 seconds.

Capture rate = 1 frame per (Print_time_secs / (Playback_Secs * Playback_FPS)) seconds .

Someone else may be able to suggest whether a different capture rate makes for a more watchable result.
Otherwise - give it a try... then be the one to tell us how it worked out smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2012 04:31AM by nb99.
April 07, 2012 06:02AM
For this ~4 hour timelapse I took a picture every two seconds, and ran it at 24fps, but I did increase the speed a lot more when editing the video. (Take note of the clock in the lower left corner).

If you can choose, it's better to capture more frames or even 1:1 video, and then speed up the footage, than capture too few frames and get choppy movement.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
April 07, 2012 12:38PM
Here are two I did a few months back, with the help of the the OSnap! iPhone app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soe5pg5IvGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVmws3aFalw
April 07, 2012 01:03PM
For my time-lapses (6 to 8hrs), I use a webcam and I record the video at the lowest rate possible (5fps in my case) I speed up the video by processing only 1/40 of the frames with virtualdub :
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
April 07, 2012 08:27PM
I use Yawcam and my webcam. Just did my first time lapse today!

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
April 08, 2012 01:20AM
I saw one time lapse print that used a signal from the RAMPS to trigger the camera. They took a photo at each layer change which made it look like the extruder wasnt moving. Makes for a short clip (unless you have many hundreds of layers), but it looked really neat.
April 08, 2012 03:04PM
Marlin has the Canon trigger pulses coded in (M240?, something like that). You just need to add a IR LED to one of the RAMPS pins and it will send the necessary IR pulses to trigger as if you were using the Canon remote. Then all you have to do is add the command to the gcode at every Z change (or whenever you want).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
April 08, 2012 04:25PM
@Greg Frost: That's an excellent idea, using the ramps board to trigger the time lapse. Do you have a link to the video?
April 08, 2012 07:08PM
I have been doing this as well using M240 and a hacked version of pronterface that calls gphoto2. This way you get one frame per layer and nice smooth motion. Using a timer tends to result in videos that are too long.

Here is an example:
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login