Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm new to RepRaps and I'm curious about the costs

Posted by errantvandal 
I'm new to RepRaps and I'm curious about the costs
October 20, 2011 06:29PM
I'm looking for some advice on what I should buy, how much should I spend, and what mods are recommended for my needs.

I need a machine that can make pieces 8" x 8" x 3" in size out of durable ABS. I'm thinking about a Prusa Mendel, but I would like to keep in within a $600 budget.

Do the ladies and gentlemen of the RepRap world have a preferred beginner unit that a novice can throw together and build on?
Re: I'm new to RepRaps and I'm curious about the costs
October 20, 2011 06:53PM
A Prusa is about as basic as it gets and a great place to start. But as seeing you want to build large ABS parts I would recommend building a box around it as to keep in the heat (ABS tends to warp even on a heated bed when the object is large). As for the budget I would say a Prusa is about your only choice with that large of build area in kit form.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 21, 2011 09:57AM
Thanks for the advice on using a box with the heatbed. I should have some gold heat shielding material left over that I can use on the inside of the box to reflect the heat inward.

I'm thinking about this unit with the 3mm hot-end. Anyone have an opinion on it?
[www.makergear.com]
October 21, 2011 10:58AM
errantvandal - you can stop by the MakerGear IRC channel and chat with people about their Prusa Kits.

Rick
October 21, 2011 01:54PM
I have never dealt with Makergear but from what I have read on the forums and through peoples personal blogs I would say they are one of the best RepRap companies out there ( I have never read a single bad thing about them).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 21, 2011 02:21PM
@sublime also check out [reprapbook.appspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login