Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa model 2 "does not use a print bottom plate"

Posted by tailortrik 
Prusa model 2 "does not use a print bottom plate"
December 03, 2011 05:52PM
I am just starting my first Prusa Mendel build and I am stuck on the build plate.

I do not have access to a laser cutter and would rather not buy a small piece of wood if I can cut it myself.

I noticed that the wiki mentions that "The Prusa Iteration 2 design does not use a print bottom plate."

but I cannot find any instance where this is implemented. All of the instructions use two plates.

Can someone direct me to any instruction of how to install only one plate? Or is it better If I cut two.
I am worried about losing too much precision by cutting more then I may have to.
thanks
Re: Prusa model 2 "does not use a print bottom plate"
December 03, 2011 09:43PM
Prusa 2 is very new and build instructions haven't been done yet.

The Y axis smooth rods on Prusa normally hang under the threaded rods at front and rear. If you look at item #6 here, you can see that the Y axis smooth rods are on top of the threaded rods for Prusa 2. Leave out the lower plate, leveling screws and springs. Attach whatever bearings you're using directly to the main build plate.

In previous Mendels, the springs give the print bed a little flex so you can crash the extruder nozzle into the built surface a bit without breaking things. With previous Prusa designs, the Z axis motors are not attached, so they should lift in the event of a crash. I assume it is the same on Prusa 2.

Make sure your bearings will lift the plate high enough to get over the brackets at either end of the smooth rods. I don't see anything in Gary Hodgson's Visual Instructions for the original Prusa that look like a laser cutter is necessary. Careful use of a saw and drill should be good enough, whether you use one plate or two. Gary shows using the lower plate as a jig to make sure that the Y axis smooth rods are parallel, but you can probably find other means.
Re: Prusa model 2 "does not use a print bottom plate"
December 03, 2011 11:04PM
I make and sell Linear based Prusa and here is a copy of my own instructions that I send oput with every machine I sell Prusaassemblynotes.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 11:05PM by NelsonRap.

December 04, 2011 07:53PM
I am better off without the bottom plate so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login