Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Most common software setup

Posted by shadowjig 
Most common software setup
January 22, 2012 08:54PM
I just ordered a Makergear Prusa kit and I wanted to get some more information about the software.

I know I need the firmware, skinning software and the host PC software. I also understand that the Arduino IDE and drivers are needed as well as Python.

What's the most common software setup (firmware, skinning program, and host software) that's used?
Re: Most common software setup
January 22, 2012 09:59PM
I use Skeinforge for slicing, Repsnapper for communicating with my printer although have used Pronterface as well

January 22, 2012 10:39PM
use the setup instructions and install sfact. it is the most stable. slic3r still has issues with some stl files.

[reprap.org]

also a windows painless install version is here

[koti.kapsi.fi]

extract it and run it from the folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 10:42PM by jamesdanielv.
January 23, 2012 12:40PM
The most common software may not be the best. Especially in the case of RepRap where things change quickly. If you're going to be relying on Rick (MakerGear) to get you going (recommended), you'll want to use what he's most familiar with. He's not on the bleeding edge, but he's reasonably up-to-date. He has recently posted some links to firmware and so on for MakerGear printers in the MakerGear google proup. It's worth a look. You'll also want to get IRC figured out so you can ask questions in the MakerGear channel.
January 23, 2012 01:05PM
I use marlin+slic3r+pronterface.

Try various software setups every now and then, both to find your favorite and to avoid 'locking' yourself down to one package, making it difficult to switch to a new software solution in the future. Many people love RepG and/or skeinforge and refuse to try anything else, which I think is a loss for them.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
January 23, 2012 01:21PM
Marlin/RepSnapper Beta (Windows)/Skeinforge 41/NetFabb Basic (to repair bad STLs), Solidworks
January 23, 2012 02:02PM
Marlin (start with 0.9 not 1!) it is basically the same as sprinter but makes nicer prints - you can find it at: [github.com]
Choices: Slic3r, Skeinforge, SFACT. I would say avoid SFACT, it is buggy at the best of times. Skeinforge has way too many settings (but is the most fully featured). Slic3r is simple and currently gives the best prints out of the box. I guess I would recommend slic3r, although I currently use Skeinforge. [slic3r.org]
Pronterface - No contest here, avoid RepG it's not worth the hassle. [github.com]

This is a very common setup on IRC so you will get heaps of help!
January 24, 2012 03:24AM
jcabrer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marlin/RepSnapper Beta (Windows)/Skeinforge
> 41/NetFabb Basic (to repair bad STLs), Solidworks

Yep basically the same as I use except I still use Sprinter on the Prusa and have no Idea now what's on the Sells Mendel but it works nice so it will stay unknown for now

January 26, 2012 06:17PM
NelsonRap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use Skeinforge for slicing, Repsnapper for
> communicating with my printer although have used
> Pronterface as well

Again, This.

We have considered trying Repetier out recently as well. We haven't just yet, however.
January 26, 2012 07:51PM
It would be interesting to do a poll to get a feel of the statistics. The poll feature doesn't seem to be activated in this forum?

Keff
January 26, 2012 08:56PM
Pronterface and skeinforge. Nuff said.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login