Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hybrid printing/milling

Posted by pete-theobald 
hybrid printing/milling
February 16, 2012 09:51AM
Hi Everyone,
I just started reading an article about 5axis milling and it got me thinking [singularityhub.com]. the article suggest that there is a choice between 3d printing and machining. As i see it, printing is pretty good but lacks absolute precision and you always get some rippling in the surface but generally its good. Milling needs a lot more material but can be much more accurate as you don't have moten plastic oozing about.
Has anyone made a machine that can print out a block of material using a printer thats slightly bigger than the part you want and then milled out a part accurately later on? A 5 axis mill is a much bigger challenge than a reprap but adding a milling head to a reprap or even an extruder mozzle to an existing mill would be interesting.
Pete
VDX
Re: hybrid printing/milling
February 16, 2012 02:41PM
... some similar ideas were discussed some years ago - best way would be a combination of Extruder and millhead.

First the Extruder prints a complete layer with slightly oversize ... then the millhead finish the outline and/or the surface to fit.

So you don't need such a rigid/stiff mill needed for milling big plastic blocks.

But the higher complexity of the software and longer building time is a killer eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: hybrid printing/milling
February 16, 2012 04:42PM
The Hydra MMM machine was an attempt to do this. Follow the link below and through to the blog using the link on the right of the page.

Hydra MMM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login