Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recommendations for electronics

Posted by danieljabailey 
Recommendations for electronics
February 16, 2012 08:16AM
I haven't had much luck lately with my reprap electronics, I have a gen 6 board and was using it fine with printrun (pronterface). It recently started to do things wrong and I suspect a hardware fault (tried many different software solutions, it always fails to print properly), I am ready to buy replacement electronics and was wondering what other reprapers would recommend to replace it.

I like the five D firmware as I know my way around the code and I have skeinforge set up and it was doing well with the five D on the gen 6.
I like the look of the RAMPS electronics and have found a potentially good source.
I also really like pronterface.

Does the five D firmware work well with ramps?
Has anyone had any trouble with a "skeinforge - printrun - ramps - five D" setup (or similar) or would this be a good combination?

Thanks, Dan.
Re: Recommendations for electronics
February 16, 2012 12:26PM
FiveD is ooooooooold! You want RAMPS and Marlin firmware. Trust me, it'll blow your mind.
February 16, 2012 02:29PM
Will marlin work with all the G-Codes that five D understands? (mainly [G1, G0] X Y Z E F) as my skeinforge is set up for this. Also, is it easy to get it to work on a ramps setup?

if so then I will consider using marlin and not five D
February 16, 2012 04:55PM
Yes, I believe all modern firmwares will understand those, Marlin included. Marlin can be a little tricky to set up (especially the endstops) but we'd be glad to help you live over IRC in #reprap.
February 16, 2012 05:56PM
Agreed. I would not suggest anyone make a machine with any other firmware besides marlin at this point. It is pretty messy right now, but it works so well and is still being actively improved.

www.Fablicator.com
February 16, 2012 06:37PM
Thank you for your opinions, I will be getting a RAMPS board and using marlin.
February 16, 2012 06:53PM
I have Gen6 which came with FiveD. FiveD is terrible. One thing you will need to pay attention to when you upgrade is setting the Z max feedrate properly. Some mathematical quirks of FiveD I never did unravel seem to prevent going too fast on Z, but all other firmware will happily try to move Z way too fast and stall unless you set it to something reasonable (eg 240mm/min, or about 4mm/s).

(I just bought RAMPS to replace Gen6, but I've been running Sprinter and Marlin on gen6)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login