Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Mendel Prusa vs SLA-7000 Stereolithography. David against Goliath....

Posted by RepRapBCN 
RepRap Mendel Prusa vs SLA-7000 Stereolithography. David against Goliath....
May 24, 2012 07:47AM
We have made a simple comparison between SLA and RepRap Technology. You can find the results in our blog:

[reprapbcn.wordpress.com]

We hope you like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 11:52AM by RepRapBCN.

RepRapBCN - Barcelona Tech - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Visit our Webstore - Blog - Facebook
Re: RepRap Mendel Prusa vs SLA-7000 Stereolithography. David against Goliath....
May 24, 2012 02:41PM
What size are those yodas printed at 100% 50% etc. I would love to show what a well tuned RepRap can do.

These were printed 6months ago and are still improving. 0.16mm - 0.10mm
[www.thingiverse.com]

This one is 50micron on Tantillus.
[www.thingiverse.com]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: RepRap Mendel Prusa vs SLA-7000 Stereolithography. David against Goliath....
May 25, 2012 02:29AM
Both yodas were printed at 100%.

The 50 micron yoda printed in your Tantillus is really impressive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 09:49AM by RepRapBCN.
May 25, 2012 07:56PM
It's not possible to see any detail in the white Yoda to make a meaningful comparison.
May 26, 2012 05:31AM
Is the problem of white...

May 26, 2012 06:13AM
Spray them both in grey primer - it'll bring out the details.

It may be worth noting that the SLA7000 is over a decade old now - it's by no means the best SLA can achieve. 500,000€ buys you a helluva system these days - a production grade iPro machine, or a few Projet 6000/7000HD's - both of which easily best the old SLA7000 systems.

I'm not meaning to downplay just how far RepRap has come, the results are certainly very impressive for such an affordable system.
May 26, 2012 11:34AM
Very impressive.

I can see the detail in the white mostly. I think the lines show up more clearly with FDM as the edges are not so square from layer to layer. The have a rounded profile and it makes each layer much more distinct for the same thickness. Also they are not so perfectly accurate and any that don't line up exactly contribute to the visual lower quality.

A comparative material strength test would also be interesting.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login