Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Ideas to keep the Print Bed level

Posted by Kortal 
New Ideas to keep the Print Bed level
May 23, 2012 10:16AM
Too long have I been annoyed by the tedious task of re-levelling the print bed, so I’m trying to think of a new idea of keeping the bed level or at least a bed that last longer. I don’t mind if it means re-designing the printer. It's just a little project I’m running to keep me occupied. I have looked at using water, but I don’t think its practical and if it was to pick up any vibrations during print it would ripple the water effecting print quality.

So does anyone have any ideas as my brain is fried trying to think of some sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 10:22AM by Kortal.
Re: New Ideas to keep the Print Bed level
May 23, 2012 10:22AM
how often you need to re-level? I only need to do mine after making changes to the hardware.. which is once every.... 2 months?

This is the setup I have for my bed: [forums.reprap.org]

with this setup, I can get a very even level at 4 corners and almost anywhere on the bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 10:24AM by ahbtsang.
May 23, 2012 10:31AM
Wow interesting design there, I might have to try this smiling smiley

But what happens if the nozzle collides with the bed?.... there's no failsafe of course I imagine yourself being an experienced reprap user and don’t run into those problems.
May 23, 2012 10:45AM
The bed of a Mendel90 stays level. The Y carriage is made from DiBond (don't use wood as it warps with heat and atmospheric moisture). It has a heat shield to stop it getting warm.

The bed is glass on a PCB with metal pillars supporting it.

The Y bars are fastened to a flat sheet.

There is nothing that can vary once it has been levelled.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 23, 2012 11:47AM
If the nozzle hits the bed there is some spring in the Y bars. Eventually the nuts will push out of the X-ends so the nozzle can not exert more force than the weight of the X axis (assuming no anti-backlash springs).

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login