Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing smooth curved objects...

Posted by jrsteensen 
Printing smooth curved objects...
May 23, 2012 01:08PM
Hey all. I'm saving my pennies for a MendelMAX. I do have a question though...Some of the items I will be prototyping will be very much like a toothbrush handle - curved, no flat areas, finger grooves, etc.

How would I go about printing something like that on the MendelMAX printer? Breakaway support structures?
Re: Printing smooth curved objects...
May 23, 2012 02:01PM
You might want to give it a big wide base manually so it is firmly attached to the bed, and attempt printing it straight up in two atleast two pieces. A toothbrush, well the ones I use, tend not to have any unprintable overhangs so it should be fine. If the model starts to wobble then you may want to slow it down, use Z lift and/or split it into several pieces.
Alternatively you can split it in half lengthways so it has a flat base and use a very low layer height to give it enough quality to have defined features.

Support is okay but will likely need postprocessing, which is fine if dimensions are not critical.
Re: Printing smooth curved objects...
May 23, 2012 11:02PM
Yydoctt said it perfectly. Alot of times it's all in how you design the part. Knowing the limitations of your printer allows you to design items so that they will print correctly and when assembled still maintain their shape/function. i.e. splitting a part down the center, printing in multiple peices, avoiding designs with overhangs, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login