Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with Boolean Operation on STL File

Posted by Beekeeper 
Problem with Boolean Operation on STL File
June 08, 2012 04:09PM
I am trying to use Blender to perform a Boolean operation on this stl file.

I am just trying to punch a hole through it using a Cylinder "Primative" from Blender 2.6. But it locks up Blender, or returns both models without any changes. I am using the Difference Boolean Modifier. Blender 2.5 is no better, either.

Any help is always appreciated.

If you know any other free software that can do it, I would be very thankful.
Re: Problem with Boolean Operation on STL File
June 08, 2012 04:25PM
First repair the file with Netfabb. Then import it. The create your cylinder you want to difference from it. Then while the cylinder is selected press "tab" to enter edit mode. Then press "ctrl r" and mouse over the model. You will see it highlight an area to ring cut (ctrl r = ring cut). While it is highlighted scroll up and down (or pg/up pg/dn) to increase the number of cuts it will make. Increase them until the cylinder is divided up into parts about the same length as the cylinders diameter and click or press enter to apply it. Then press "a" until all the vertices are highlighted, once they are highlighted press "ctrl t" to triangulate the mesh. Once you have divided it up and triangulated the mesh you can press "tab" again to exit edit mode and perform your boolean function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 11:18PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 08, 2012 04:25PM
CSG operations on a stl mesh this dense, and with all the weird triangles at the bottom, will always be - if possible at all - a headache.

I advise you use a mesh modeller (my tool of choice is the excellent and fast Wings 3D, but I would assume Blender can do the same) and make hole manually.

In Wings it's quite simple:
  • Select faces where you want hole
  • Press delete to make one big face
  • (If on bottom plane use inset).
  • Press E (for edges)
  • Circularise
  • Do the same for the other side
  • Select both faces (Make sure the number of edges are the same)
  • Bridge
  • Done

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 08, 2012 04:37PM
If you would like to use Nudel's method in Blender you will need to go into the preferences and enable "loop tools" which adds it to the context menu (the one that comes up in edit mode when you press "w") . In this context menu you will now find loop tools and inside loop tools you will find "bridge".

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
June 08, 2012 05:01PM
Oh and when you say it "locks up blender" this is normal while it is compiling. I have tried doing some really complex operations where it has to union and difference hundreds of parts and on a quad core 3.2ghz machine that have taken hours and hours to complete. Just do something else and eventually it will be done.

June 08, 2012 05:56PM
@ sublime and Nudel: Thanks, I will give it a try. OpenSCAD couldn't import the model. It was already cleaned up and fixed witih NetFabb cloud.
June 08, 2012 10:14PM
where abouts on it do you need the hole?
is it a blind hole?
how big? (millimetres)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 10:23PM by thejollygrimreaper.
June 08, 2012 11:25PM
@thejollygrimreaper: It's a hole through the legs and out the back. that is 9mm in diameter straight shot through. (note the hole will clip the bottom layer and not be a complete hole, this is by design.
June 09, 2012 01:32AM
i'm running the model through somthing i wrote a little while ago that produces point clouds for use in openscad, i'm not sure how it's going to work out due to the complexity of it, it'll be interesting to see, i'll stil in in the processing que of herringbone gears i've already got,..
June 10, 2012 02:59AM
Thanks Sublime, I got it to work. Here is a link to why I needed to put a tunnel through the Kitty:

Golf-In-Miniature.

The Spinx turned out pretty well, Here's a pic.

I put it in the first hole of my Golf-In-Miniature 3d Printable Golf Course Hole#1 "Put with Tut"

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login