Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best thermal conductor for HeatBlock

Posted by epareja 
Best thermal conductor for HeatBlock
June 14, 2012 03:21PM
Hello again!

I have an aluminium heat block that can fit 2 power resistors, but the holes are a little bigger than the resistors so I will have air gaps between the block and resistor.
My block is like this (http://www.a2aprinter.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=62)

Can I use silicone heat cream like this Thermal Grease? or should I go for fire cement?

I'm not sure to go to fire cement because the resistors will be sealed and if there is any problem then I will loose all the block, is that right?

Thank you all

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: Best thermal conductor for HeatBlock
June 14, 2012 04:20PM
I glue them in with glass rope glue and then heat it very slowly the first time, otherwise it tends to blister. It can be removed if necessary.

Wrapping them in just enough aluminium foil to make a tight fit also works but it takes a few attempts to get right.

Normal heatsink compound just turns to powder and does not work.

Some people use silicone but I had a resistor fail using that as there is not enough thermal conductivity to stop it overheating.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 14, 2012 05:45PM
Thank you Nophead. Where do you buy the glass rope glue from?

Good tip you gave me with the aluminium foil.

About the other post of the heat bed with tape for ABS, what is the name of the blue tape that is usually seen on youtube videos?

Best regards

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
June 14, 2012 05:49PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I glue them in with glass rope glue and then heat
> it very slowly the first time, otherwise it tends
> to blister. It can be removed if necessary.
>
I tried some glass rope adhesive (black and very runny) but it's been drying for over a week and is still tacky, do you need to heat it up to cure it? or do I have a bad batch, according to the bottle it's out of date by about 6 months - that's eBay for you.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
June 14, 2012 06:45PM
Mine is light brown and sets in about an hour but I usually leave it cooking overnight below boiling point and then slowly raise it to avoid it blistering.

[www.transtools.co.uk]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 15, 2012 03:20PM
Thanks, I warmed it up and it's setting now, it looks like it's going to set hard like glass.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
June 16, 2012 02:34AM
Hi,
I use alfoil to make a tight fit and then silicone at the ends. Has been working fine since day one.
Makes it easy to replace the resistor/s if needed.
Cheers
Jan

Look Here
June 16, 2012 03:13AM
What type of silicone? The white one that is used for transistors and electronics? Yust to be clear because I'm not from USA: alfoil = aluminuim foil?

Thank you

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
June 16, 2012 11:00AM
I also use aluminium foil around the resistor, and seal the ends with a high temperature (+260C) epoxy putty called "quiksteel". I don't know how easy - or even if it's possible - to remove the epoxy if the resistor needs to be replaced, but it's worked good on the 5-6 heater blocks I've made.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 16, 2012 11:48AM
Alu foil and high temperature silicone, the stuff they use on car exhaust headers.
June 17, 2012 05:39AM
epareja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What type of silicone? The white one that is used
> for transistors and electronics? Yust to be clear
> because I'm not from USA: alfoil = aluminuim
> foil?
>
> Thank you

Hi, yes normal aluminium foil used for food etc.
The silicone is the one shown on my site.

Regards
Jan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login