Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Globby Perimeter of Print

Posted by Tommydag 
Globby Perimeter of Print
June 17, 2012 02:09PM
After just finishing my printer, I used the guide by RichRap to calibrate my printer. I was able to print a thing walled empty test cube just fine but when I went to check 100% infill with a 20mm test cube, I encountered problems. The edges become very globby and seem to overflow. I am using a .35 nozzle and PLA form ulitimachine. I have tried 5 or six times adjusting layer height or perimeter speed but it doesn't improve the outside of the print. Sorry for the crappy picture but I figured it was better than nothing. I was wondering if a cooling fan could help because maybe the layers don't get time to cool?
Attachments:
open | download - Picture 2.jpg (112.5 KB)
Re: Globby Perimeter of Print
June 17, 2012 02:18PM
It's very difficult to tell from your picture as it's out of focus, and with translucent filament.

If you have some solid coloured filament, preferably in a light colour like gray or pink, it's much easier to see how the extrusion behaves.

First guess is your e_steps are too high, so you're extruding too much filament. In slic3r you can test this easily by lowering the extrusion multiplier, but something tells me your calibration is off.

Other things to check: Are your prints coming out in the right size? Is the cube exactly 20x20x20mm?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 17, 2012 02:38PM
[dl.dropbox.com]
[dl.dropbox.com]
Here are two pictures that are much better, so that should help. The boxes are very close to 20mm (it shows 20.5 because it is measuring the base. I would rather not switch filament because then I would have to re-calibrate. I'll give reducing the extrusion a try, but in the mean time I hope the pictures can help.
June 17, 2012 03:42PM
That's better!

How tall are the cubes supposed to be? If the model is supposed 20mm tall, your z-height is way off.

If the cube is supposed to be 10mm tall, I still think your e_steps are off, so you lay down too much plastic.

You don't have to re-calibrate when switching filament. Just put in the new diameter in slic3r if it's very different. And perhaps you have to increase or lower the temperature a little.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 17, 2012 06:31PM
The "cube" isn't really a cube but a 20x20x10 rectangular prism (lol). After upping the temperature and rechecking the z axis in sprinter it now works! I was printing at too low of a temperature and the plastic was staying gummy. Thanks a lot for your help and I really like the comics, keep it up!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login