Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCD menu wont scroll down

Posted by Rigor_M 
LCD menu wont scroll down
February 18, 2014 10:44PM
Hi,

I installed a 128x64 LCD on my megatronics board with a rotary encoder.

I enabled, in marlin, the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHICS_SMART_CONTROLLER and everything is looking great on the LCD screen. I can use the rotary encoder to go in the menu and scroll the lines that I see en the screen.

The problem that i'm having is, I know that there more items in the menu when I scroll down but i can't see them.. the lines on the screen wont scroll up to the next available menu item.
I can go off screen and click on them but cant see what i'm clicking on.

Anyone have a idea what could be the problem ?

IM using Marlin v1 as of 2014-02-09, arduino 1.0.5 with all the libs copied to the libraries folder.

Thanks for any help on this :-)
Re: LCD menu wont scroll down
February 19, 2014 01:19AM
is there a setting for how many lines are displayed with this controller?
have you looked at the lcd layout menu pdf file inlcuded in marlin file to know what options are available for lcd display?

are you using a delta bot, which has some features disabled?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 01:20AM by jamesdanielv.
February 19, 2014 07:52AM
jamesdanielv
is there a setting for how many lines are displayed with this controller?
have you looked at the lcd layout menu pdf file inlcuded in marlin file to know what options are available for lcd display?

are you using a delta bot, which has some features disabled?

The menu is configured base on the motherboard its connected to ? the LCD screen is a simple ST7920 128x64 and motherboard is a megatronics v2.0 (forgot to say the version in the original post)

I did not look at the PDF (didn't now there was one) but I can go enter the menu that I dont see.. like the manual move of the axes. and they work.

Its not a Delta, more like a ultimaker clone that i built myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2014 08:02AM by Rigor_M.
February 19, 2014 10:45PM
Anyone else has a idea on this ?

Marlin bug maybe ? I googled the problem but no one seems to have ou had it.. sad smiley
February 20, 2014 01:15AM
here is the lcd menu currently in use on marlin
Attachments:
open | download - LCD+Menu+Tree.pdf (213.7 KB)
February 20, 2014 07:55AM
jamesdanielv
here is the lcd menu currently in use on marlin

Thanks, I saw the file in the marlin folder after you told me it was there :-)

I have those options.. I just can't see items pass the 4th menu items (on section where there more than 4)
February 20, 2014 11:09AM
have you tried the code without installing that library. it is possible that arduino has its own build of the library. with all the changes to how the hardware is coded for the TFT librarys, it may no longer need the glib to be included. It's a shot in the dark. or you could revert to arduino ide 0.23 and see if that works. it is likely a buffer issue or a communications issue.

the latest i found was this:

uncommented "#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER" ==> (make sure to uncomment the FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER and not the generic one!)
compiled and uploaded with Arduino IDE
February 20, 2014 11:28AM
Thanks for the info.

I did try last night to use may 0.23 version of arduino.. copied the UG8lib from Marlin's 0.23 lib addons to my lib and compiled.. everything works like the 1.0.5 version.. but I have the same problem..

and I uncommened the right one.. (the other one is for 20x4 or 16x2 displays :-)

Buffer ou say.. hum... would this be the screen's buffer or the atmega one ?
February 20, 2014 08:36PM
do you think you can zip and upload your complete marlin firmware as is,
then someone can look at the code and see if there is anything in the code or a setting that is causing this to happen?
I'll try to look at it a little if it is uploaded by tonight sometime.

as for the buffering,
likely this would be a software buffer on arduino to the lcd display. I'd need to look at the code to find out more.
February 20, 2014 08:50PM
jamesdanielv
do you think you can zip and upload your complete marlin firmware as is,
then someone can look at the code and see if there is anything in the code or a setting that is causing this to happen?
I'll try to look at it a little if it is uploaded by tonight sometime.

as for the buffering,
likely this would be a software buffer on arduino to the lcd display. I'd need to look at the code to find out more.

Here you go smiling smiley (link to zip file in my dropbox) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/azux1upon60goop/Marlin-Marlin_v1_2014-02-09.zip

Hope someone can find the trouble !

As i'm writing, I'm designing the box to install the LCD on my printer ;-)

Thanks for all the help your giving me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2014 09:09PM by Rigor_M.
February 21, 2014 06:42AM
have you looked at reprap discounts version of marlin they say works with the display?

[docs.google.com]

it is a start.

the wiring is different for the menzi Megatronics v2.0 versus a ramps board. different pins are used for the encoder wheel, and for the lcd.

//Pins for 4bit LCD Support ramps
#define LCD_PINS_RS 16
#define LCD_PINS_ENABLE 17
#define LCD_PINS_D4 23
#define LCD_PINS_D5 25
#define LCD_PINS_D6 27
#define LCD_PINS_D7 29
vs menzi Megatronics v2.0

#define LCD_PINS_RS 14
#define LCD_PINS_ENABLE 15
#define LCD_PINS_D4 30
#define LCD_PINS_D5 31
#define LCD_PINS_D6 32
#define LCD_PINS_D7 33

so far that is the only difference i see in the pins.h file. there are also differences in how it displays data for dot matrix displays the menus. still diging. but try the code linked above first. and also can you provide the exact name of the control chipset used for lcd?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 11:34AM by jamesdanielv.
February 21, 2014 08:05AM
jamesdanielv
have you looked at reprap discounts version of marlin they say works with the display?

[docs.google.com]

it is a start.

the wiring is different for the menzi versus a ramps board. different pins are used for the encoder wheel, and for the lcd.

//Pins for 4bit LCD Support ramps
#define LCD_PINS_RS 16
#define LCD_PINS_ENABLE 17
#define LCD_PINS_D4 23
#define LCD_PINS_D5 25
#define LCD_PINS_D6 27
#define LCD_PINS_D7 29
vs menzi

#define LCD_PINS_RS 14
#define LCD_PINS_ENABLE 15
#define LCD_PINS_D4 30
#define LCD_PINS_D5 31
#define LCD_PINS_D6 32
#define LCD_PINS_D7 33

so far that is the only difference i see in the pins.h file. there are also differences in how it displays data for dot matrix displays the menus. still diging. but try the code linked above first. and also can you provide the exact name of the control chipset used for lcd?

Hi,

I will try the link ASAP, Thank.. I did not know that reprap discount had there version of marlin for the display.

I want to point out that i dont have the menzi but the megatronics 2.0 board http://reprap.org/wiki/Megatronics_2.0

And the 128x64 LCDs are a bit different when communicating with the board (compared to a 20x4 or 16x2) as it uses serial communication.

I used the megatronics's detailed PDF to make the wiring for the encoder.. (its clearey marked EN1,EN2 and EN_SW) so that bit was easy smiling smiley

The LCD's controller is a ST7920.. I looked around on the net before buying to see it was supported. and the U8glib lb has support also.. (i've seen ST7920 coding in marlin so thats a good indicator).

here is the PDF for the LCD https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h6iwl7rvrworiz/ST7920.pdf

Thanks for your effort, i appreciate it smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 08:06AM by Rigor_M.
February 21, 2014 08:18AM
Here is a link to my complete Marlin build from a few weeks ago for the Sainstore Megatronics 2.0 with the Sainstore version of the RRD full graphics 12864, along with the exact u8glib libraries that I used:

http://ae3.homelinux.net/marlin_megatronics2_lcd12864.zip

The U8glib folder was copied from my C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\ directory, and was downloaded a few weeks ago from the official source link included in whatever instructions I was following.

Note that I have not configured Marlin for any printer yet, other than copying over the Delta template. I just wanted to see the LCD-12864 interface difference between Marlin and Repetier, and never finished configuring Marlin beyond this. Since the LCD scrolls both ways on the same hardware that yours doesn't, I figured that I would share it so that you can see how yours differs.

If you decide at some point to go with Repetier, note that the LCD-12864 on a Megatronics 2.0 board doesn't work when compiled from their 0.91 web configuration builder tool. I had to do a hack job on one of the UI files to define the correct interface pins for the LCD and rotary encoder to work, and still don't think that I have the SD card working fully yet. I'll gladly share that build as well should someone with a Megatronics 2.0 and LCD-12864 need it for a reference.....
February 21, 2014 08:21AM
Oops! Forgot to mention that I used Arduino 1.0.5-r2 on Windows 7 to build/install it.....
February 21, 2014 08:27AM
vreihen
Here is a link to my complete Marlin build from a few weeks ago for the Sainstore Megatronics 2.0 with the Sainstore version of the RRD full graphics 12864, along with the exact u8glib libraries that I used:

http://ae3.homelinux.net/marlin_megatronics2_lcd12864.zip

The U8glib folder was copied from my C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\ directory, and was downloaded a few weeks ago from the official source link included in whatever instructions I was following.

Note that I have not configured Marlin for any printer yet, other than copying over the Delta template. I just wanted to see the LCD-12864 interface difference between Marlin and Repetier, and never finished configuring Marlin beyond this. Since the LCD scrolls both ways on the same hardware that yours doesn't, I figured that I would share it so that you can see how yours differs.

If you decide at some point to go with Repetier, note that the LCD-12864 on a Megatronics 2.0 board doesn't work when compiled from their 0.91 web configuration builder tool. I had to do a hack job on one of the UI files to define the correct interface pins for the LCD and rotary encoder to work, and still don't think that I have the SD card working fully yet. I'll gladly share that build as well should someone with a Megatronics 2.0 and LCD-12864 need it for a reference.....

Hi,

Thanks ! thats the exact board I have.. from saintsmart. the LCD & rotary encoder on the other hand are from ebay. I used reprapdiscounts open source schematics the make the connections.

I've never used repetier firmware but alot of ppl seem to say that its a bit easier to configure.

I think that I saw something about the ST7920 LCD having problems with repetier but the devs are on the case ;-)

I'll also try your version and report back. but I would be interested in trying out the repetier firmware.

Thanks !
February 21, 2014 08:30AM
vreihen
Oops! Forgot to mention that I used Arduino 1.0.5-r2 on Windows 7 to build/install it.....

Thats ok, I also use 1.0.5 (cant remember if its r2 tough)

I also tried with 0.23 (with appropriate libs) and got to the same results.
[Solved] Re: LCD menu wont scroll down
February 21, 2014 10:15PM
I found my problem smiling bouncing smiley

Turns out, the problem was 18 behind the keyboard... a.k.a. ME !

I changed the WIDTH and HEIGHT to 128 and 64 in the fallowing code :

#ifdef ULTIPANEL
//  #define NEWPANEL  //enable this if you have a click-encoder panel
  #define SDSUPPORT
  #define ULTRA_LCD
  #ifdef DOGLCD // Change number of lines to match the DOG graphic display
    #define LCD_WIDTH 20
    #define LCD_HEIGHT 5
  #else
    #define LCD_WIDTH 20
    #define LCD_HEIGHT 4
  #endif
#else //no panel but just lcd
  #ifdef ULTRA_LCD
  #ifdef DOGLCD // Change number of lines to match the 128x64 graphics display
    #define LCD_WIDTH 20
    #define LCD_HEIGHT 5
  #else
    #define LCD_WIDTH 16
    #define LCD_HEIGHT 2
  #endif
  #endif
#endif

I redid the lines like is was before, the copy above, and everything went back to normal !

Thanks for all your help :-)

J-F
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login