Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Print flexible sheets from standard ABS/PLA

Posted by luca 
3D Print flexible sheets from standard ABS/PLA
May 28, 2014 10:48AM
Hello everyone,

(not sure if this is the right section where to post this!)

Some days ago I was using my 3D printer to create some objects (using standard ABS) and I have realized that the 'raft layers' between the plate and the object can be used as flexible and strong sheets.
Such sheets are made of a 1st layer with a linear pattern and a second one with a honeycomb one.
(see the attached files!)

So I started asking myself whether there's an intuitive way to create such sheets with custom parameters;
I would like to be able and decide the number of layers to insert, their patterns and the pattern features to experiment with different sheet configurations.
example: i want to create a sheet with
first layer: linear pattern, pattern spacing = Amm, pattern angle = B°
second layer: honeycomb pattern, pattern spacing = Cmm, pattern angle = D°
third layer: linear pattern, pattern spacing = Emm, pattern angle = F°

Ideas?

Thanks,
Luca

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 11:22AM by luca.
Attachments:
open | download - bottom.jpg (485.7 KB)
open | download - top.jpg (549.9 KB)
open | download - flex.jpg (407.8 KB)
Re: Printing flexible sheets
May 28, 2014 11:10AM
I've had a few similar ideas, but finding no use I never really got to developing an easy way to do it. You've got more progress there than I did. I'd like to see what you come up with.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
3D Print flexible sheets
May 28, 2014 11:19AM
Actually I was thinking of using them for wearable devices (the structure is really flexible and super strong, and choosing proper configurations for the patterns in each layer could help a lot!)

I thought about using the Slic3r APIs to create the G-code I need, but I don't know where to start from (or if this is the right way of doing it!)
Re: 3D Print flexible sheets from standard ABS/PLA
May 28, 2014 12:43PM
Yeah, I'm no programmer. I can do mechanics all day long, but I have no programming experience under my belt. I don't even know HTML.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
A2
May 28, 2014 05:03PM
Your raft could have a use if you designed it to be conformable. Copper/Nickel electroplate it to make armor plates.

3D Printed Mesostructured Materials
Andreas Bastian
[www.andreasbastian.com]

Electroplating ABS prints from Prusa i3 - Problems
[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 05:04PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_596 May. 28 16.50.jpg (103.5 KB)
May 30, 2014 10:47AM
Another guy working on a semi-similar thing. Might be able to pick up an idea or two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login