Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bronze Bushings.. Flanged or not?

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Bronze Bushings.. Flanged or not?
June 13, 2014 10:08AM
Hey guys, simple question, I'm wondering if it really matters if a bronze sintered bushing is flanged or not?

I cannot seem to get straight ones in my country without them being press-fit. The flanged ones I can get however, are already made to the right tolerances and do not require a special tool for pressing them into a housing.

Does it matter anything performance-wise if I take flanged bushings instead of normal straight ones?

The only drawback I can see is that the bushing cannot be pushed into the printed parts completely and a small piece will always stick out, making the part a little bit wider, and therefor making my printed part less compact.
A2
Re: Bronze Bushings.. Flanged or not?
June 13, 2014 10:22AM
Best if you posted a picture of what you're working with. If you can get ~2X the diameter of the shaft supported by the bushing, and the flange is not interfering with any thing, then I think you should be OK. If you think the bushing could slide out, use the head of a screw to hold it in place.

Bushings are designed for an interference fit, and for rotating shafts. Reaming the bore is commonly done to achieve the desired clearance (there is a method for doing this as well). I don't think pressing a sintered bearing into plastic is not going to alter the ID.
A straight bushing is typically called a sleeve bearing.
June 13, 2014 12:07PM
flanged has support on the sides and are less likely to slide out of place, they also are less likely to change shape.

do you have the ability to make them work or fit in your printer. this is the bigger question.
June 13, 2014 02:17PM
jamesdanielv
flanged has support on the sides and are less likely to slide out of place, they also are less likely to change shape.

do you have the ability to make them work or fit in your printer. this is the bigger question.

Well, when it comes to designing a carriage that can accomodate these flanged bushings.. That's no challenge to me. I will add an indented ring so the flange disappears in the side of the block that holds the bushing.

The frame will be square, the rods will be the right ones for the bushings.

If there is absolutely no drawback with flanged ones, I will order them right now smiling smiley
June 13, 2014 10:54PM
The main reason for a flanged bearing is so it can take thrust as well as radial load, otherwise there isn't any operational difference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login