Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Purpose of spring for heatbed?

Posted by sam0737 
Purpose of spring for heatbed?
July 04, 2012 09:34PM
It has been a long time since I follow the news of reprap since my repstrap extruder was destroyed. With zero power tool and all workshop refuse to drill a 0.5mm hole I just gave up. Until I found that there are some reassembled JHead+Wade's on a local bidding site, that reignites my interests. And that was when usage of heatbed was just being investigated.

What's the purpose of using spring for fixing the heatbed - prevent damage when head crash?
I wonder won't it affects the height as the build goes on and becomes heavier?
Re: Purpose of spring for heatbed?
July 04, 2012 09:55PM
The springs are pre-compressed by the bed bolts, the print bed won't drop until it weighs enough to match the force needed to compress the springs that far. Which should never happen if you make sure to compress the springs more than a few mm.
July 04, 2012 10:24PM
The reason is to make it easier to adjust how 'level' the platform is vs the print head. Without it, it would be more of an issue than it is now.
July 05, 2012 12:07AM
There is only two reasons and it is to prevent your bed from being seriously damaged if your hotend accidently crashes into it and to allow easy leveling of your surface. I've had my hotend crash into my glass print bed plenty of times and the springs have saved me every time. Yea, there is the issue of weight causing the springs to compress but that will not happen if you screw them down far enough to counter the weight of the printed part.
July 05, 2012 10:30AM
The reason for the springs is to provide an opposing force to the leveling screws. That is all.

They are not intended to save you from head crash damage, although they may buy you a little extra time to kill the power.

Idealy, there would be no need for bed leveling, but due to the inherent varaibility of the printed parts in the RepRap design, some adjustment is usually required.
July 05, 2012 12:15PM
FYI, I used 4 short pieces, about 3/8" long, of silicone tubing instead.

Thingiverse ID Alan1279
July 05, 2012 01:26PM
My first printer has springs to the heated bed, my MendelMax I mounted it rigidly, and it's a lot less hassle.
July 09, 2012 12:07PM
There is also the issue of parts that warp but are large enough that the layers cool down to the point of being solid. It's better to fix that particular problem, but at least with the springs it's a lot less serious when you get hit with this. The nozzle pushes the part down as it moves across and the print is able to continue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login