Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What to do next PC side of things

Posted by TheSniper 
What to do next PC side of things
July 05, 2012 10:53AM
All,
Since Im still a n00b at this stage/ Please forgive any ill asked questions.

What to do now? in regards to thePC and software side of things.

About my setup:
Mendel Max (premised on the 1.5 build)
All my electronics were purchased from Ultimachine
1: Pre assembled Kit Ramps 1.4 W/Arduino Mega 2560 and 5 Pololu Stepper drivers A4988
2: Stepper motors are Kysan Nema 17 72 Oz
3:I have most but not all the hardware. Im still waiting on the some of the parts to arrive.

About the build process:
Although Im a MAC user, I have plenty of pc's to dedicate to the project. And since I'm waiting on parts to arrive. (some a week or 2 out)
I thought I would start on the PC end of the project. So my questions are.
Supposing I have the physical portion built. Then what comes next?
I know the Arduino has a usb port. but Im at a complete loss on how Ill configure, Print or even interact with the device.

OR am I completely off base? Will the drawing file have embedded the instructions for the print and the setup?

I do have a metal working cnc machine so Im somewhat familiar with cnc code. However I do not work with .STL files what so ever.

I have read about lots of software like pronterface,Marlin, red snapper, slic3rto name a few.

So in a nutshell what are the steps on the electronics/pc side to complete this project.
pc, firmware, etc...
pre-processors's....
Printer gui....
bring in STL file for print...
Print...
eat pizza's and drink beers! (This is the only part Im good at!)

I know their are many ways to fillet a fish and no way is perhaps the best way. But right now? Im duped!

Thanks all!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 10:59AM by TheSniper.

SamR
MendelMax... (A build for ever in process... ... ... will it/ Is it ever done!?) yea, Its done alright its sitting collecting dust!
Moved onto a Creality CR-10
Re: What to do next PC side of things
July 05, 2012 11:09AM
Dowload all of the following:

- Arduino 023 (Not 1.0)
- Python 2.7
- Repetier Host (or Pronterface, but you will need additional Python stuff like PySerial, etc.)
- Skeinforge (or Slic3r, I guess). You will already have Slic3r built in to the Repetier Host install, so if you want to use Skeinforge, just drop it in the Repetier install directory.
- Repetier Firmware (or Marlin, or Sprinter)

Before using Arduino to upload firmware to your electronics, you will need to patch in a file or two (depends). The patch files are located in the repetier firmware, in the baords folder, arduino pre 1.0 (this is for RAMPS). The readme explains.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login