Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cooling fan Gcode operated on sanga Posible?

Posted by Weedz 
cooling fan Gcode operated on sanga Posible?
July 08, 2012 05:57PM
Hi all

Let me first say that i researched this quite a bit but never found a clear anser about it. only bits and peaces who dont really fit together. I was hoping to find a how2 but its probably not there or im just too stupid to find it.... (clearly not hoping that last option)

i know its possible to operate a cooling fan to a sanga1.3 but how?, im not really a noob but im not a expert. so i hope i will find a solution here with some help from you guys(/girls?).

I know i have to use a relay kinda switch but i dont know how to connect it to what pin and how to get that certain pin to work for fan operation. I found a topic about a guy operating his fan on the bedheater connections, but i use that for my heatbed.

so:
- to what pin do i have to connect the mesfet for fan operation.
-how can i find that pin on the sanga board
-how can i set this pin to work in the firmware so it will actually operate my fan?

im kinda affraid to short circuit something without the right knowledge.....
so is there anyone who can help me and maybe we can put together somekind of document easy to find, so other people can benefit of this...

tnx in advance
Weedz
Re: cooling fan Gcode operated on sanga Posible?
July 08, 2012 06:18PM
According to the schematic (http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/f/f5/Sanguinololu_1.3a.png), I don't think it has a provision for fan. Look at the MOSFETs section, there are only two sets, but we need one more.

If the fan is for cooling the extruder, prehaps you could tie the Fan to the Extruder output in parallel, so whenever the Extruder is on the Fan is on. =)
July 08, 2012 06:36PM
but isnt there a way for the other pins that are on the Sanga to provide a on/off switch for fan operation?

i mean on a sanga board (and maybe thats the noob within me) there a lot of free pins on the bottem end.. why are they there if they can't be used, and if not a fan what can be controlled by it. A mosfet circuit can be made outside of the sanga board right? i have seen one on thingyverse.

a mosfet only controls on/off operation right? so there should be another way with a outside mosfet
July 08, 2012 07:54PM
Here you go:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 08, 2012 09:00PM
I have my fan plugged into a spare 2 pin header and just leave it on to cool my nozzle, it just works and doesn't cause any problems

July 09, 2012 02:46AM
You would need a MOSFET like NetPerfection mentioned.
An old school mechanical relay won't work because MCU does not have power to driver that, and it doesn't work with the PWM signal output.

A variants of MOSFET will do the job, as long as wattage/current limit are within the spec.

I don't have a sanga board, from the schematic the only spare header I spotted are the ISP pins.
Marlin supports FAN M106 GCode, if you get FAN_PIN defined somewhere (in pins.h or configuration.h) accordingly then it should work.
July 09, 2012 03:26AM
yeah i know relay wasnt the best word to chose, i was meaning to say mosfet.... and the link provided was exactly what i saw and can use but how to connect it to Sanga

i have a fan now working but its always on or always off, I wanted to have a fan working, but Gcode adjusted with for example bridging. But i want a clear picture if its possible and how because i dont have the expert knowledge how to find the pin on the board and how to configure it in the firmware. And is that only with Marlin as i have Sprinter at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 03:30AM by Weedz.
July 09, 2012 03:39AM
Right.

1. First of all you need to get a MOSFET circuit built, which is posted eariler.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22202

2. Connect the VCC and GND accordingly (maybe from the input power socket), and the signal it to one of the ISP signal pins, like MOSI. Accorinding to the mapping, MOSI which is B6 is called pin 6. Then in the firmware, "#define FAN_PIN 6" somewhere in the configuration.h or pin.h.

Then it should react to the GCode M106 to turn the fan on, off accordingly.

To get M106 generated in the slicer in the apporiate place is another matter. I don't have much experience in slicer so I am afraid I couldn't help you there.
July 09, 2012 03:50AM
Yeah i saw that the thingyverse about the MOSFET was updated first time i saw it, it was only a MOSFET picture with some discription about how to build it. Now it has some instruction on how to connect it aswell so that is super!

So thats gonna bee first action :-)

but then next how to control it by Gcode, Sam you say you dont have experience with Slic3r but do you know how to run it in skeinforge?
July 09, 2012 04:16AM
You would need to create a cool file similar to your start end files, not sure sfact stores them as I still us SF41

July 09, 2012 08:43AM
In order to get the M106 code in Slic3r, you need to enable cooling on the cooling tab. All relevant settings for fan speed are there too.
July 10, 2012 02:13PM
cool tnx

i have ordered the fan MOSFET driver thingi from his ebay, should be here in a week or so then ill try it.
tnx for all the help so far
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login