Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot End Powers XY Steppers

Posted by runninfarmer 
Hot End Powers XY Steppers
February 07, 2015 05:38PM
I'm having a weird issue I've never seen before with a RAMPS board. When I power my hot end with the manual control in repetier it powers my x and y steppers. I have the wires pretty isolated from the hot end wire. When I go to make carriage movements with the hot end on, the steps are jerky and definitely different when the hot end's off. With the hotend off, the x and y axes work fine in my Corexy setup. I've also found on my smart controller when I go to heat the extruder the controller screen blinks and goes back to home screen. It works with the heated bed though. Has anyone experienced this or have any info? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 07:15PM by runninfarmer.
Re: Hot End Powers XY Steppers
February 07, 2015 10:37PM
After some investigating I've narrowed down the issue to my hot end wires. The RAMPS board seems to be ok since if I unhook one of the hot end wires, and then send power to the outputs, it doesn't affect the other stepper motors. I'm wondering if there's a grounding issue somewhere with my extruder connections and or RAMPs board? I've unhooked the extruder stepper motor and still have problems. It seems when I make a circuit with the D10 output is when I get an issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 10:57PM by runninfarmer.
Re: Hot End Powers XY Steppers
February 08, 2015 03:44PM
Solved the problem. Turns out I had a bad ATX power supply. It had been making funny noises so I had suspected it wasn't good. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login